Chapter 2 - A Special Friend

"Would you care to explain just why in the world you ran off without completing you task first?!" Mikana booms. Kohane winces at her sister's 'disciplining'.

Mikana is a Hybrid 2000: Model Queen. She specializes in the mechanism of other robots. She was the first of her model to be created and is considered as the leader of all Model Queens.

"I had my reasons!" Kohane whines, even knowing she would never win an argument against her older sister.

Mikana rolls her eyes. "Well whatever those reasons were, they'd better give me a plausible explanation for the abandonment of your errand today!"

Kurumi comes to her side and gently strokes her sibling's back. "There, there, Mikana. There's no need to make a fuss about today. It was an accident, and accidents happen. You won't do it again Kohane, won't you?" she says in a calm manner, eyeing Kohane intently.

Kohane hangs her head solemnly but gives a slight nod.

"Hmph!" Mikana huffs with her nose stuck in the air as she storms out the door. "There'd better be no next time!"

Kurumi waits until Mikana's footsteps are no longer audible before sitting Kohane down on a sofa. She hooks her metallic arm around her sister's shoulders.

"Tell me, why did you run away today?" she presses.

Kohane raises her head and faces Kurumi. Her glassy blue eyes are filled with curiosity and wonder. It's been so long since Kurumi last saw that look in her sister's eyes.

Kohane stacks her hands atop of each other on her lap and sighs. "I met a boy at the spacecraft storage center today. He seemed...fascinating..." she begins.

Already, Kurumi can tell that Kohane is entranced by this encounter. Kohane grunts, wanting Kurumi's full attention.

"He told me his name was Itsuki. He has a sister named Erika too...They seem like kind people..." the robot whispers.

Kurumi sinks into the soft cushioning of the sofa underneath them and sighs. "But why did you run away if you wanted to get to know him better?"

Her sister cranes her head up to observe the night sky outside the floor-length window. The stars are shining brightly, scattering the vast blue expanse.

"I was shy, ok? You know I'm not good at interacting with people!" Kohane squeals as she nudges her sister in the 'ribs', clearly embarrassed.

"Okay! Okay! But you could have at least chatted to him for a little longer. You don't really talk with people on regular basis. Besides, it's been ten months, Kohane... It's time to go outside and take a breather..." Kurumi tells Kohane.

A shadow casts over Kohane's blue eyes and she begins to shift away from her sister. "I don't want to discuss this matter anymore. I need to recharge my battery. I'd greatly appreciate it if you would take your leave now," she murmurs irritably.

Without another word, she slips inside her charging pod and slides her glass window across the top.

Defeated, Kurumi gives her sister once last glance before disappearing out the door.

...

If I'm right, the control room should be around here somewhere...

Professor Mars had left her keys with him, adhering to what she previously said about his practice for the upcoming tournament.

The keys jingle in Itsuki's pocket as he bounds up the corridor.

Not far from his sight he spots a robot that appears to be around his age, who is only several paces ahead of him. He stops, recognizing her clothes from yesterday and calls out.