Chapter 7 - Promise Under the Moonlight

It finally feels like a burden has lifted off his shoulders, at least for Itsuki anyway. Talking to Kurumi made him feel so much better after what happened. It's like he can finally understand what Kohane has been hiding in her heart all this time.

Tonight, he's back to looking at the stars again. One night feels like eternity when Itsuki doesn't watch the night sky.

He's lucky tonight, because apart from the many glowing lights which decorate the vast blue expanse each night, the full moon is also here to join the celestial show. Its radiance sends beams of light into the interior of Itsuki's flat.

Apart from the glorious sun, the moon is like the leader of sky, sitting among the stars like a beautiful beacon of light.

Suddenly, Itsuki's ears detect a sound coming from behind. He spins his head around to observe and notices the knob of the front door rattle rapidly.

Before long, it swings back, revealing the hallway light outside of his home. Other than the sudden flood of light in his house, Itsuki also takes notice of a pair of legs standing at the doorway. He didn't expect her to come so soon, it's almost like a dream.

Fortunately, it's really Kohane standing (five meters) in front of him. Itsuki's eyes grow so wide, you could almost compare it to the full moon in the sky.

Kohane makes her way over to him by the window ever so slowly. "I-I'm sorry," she whispers.

But right now, Itsuki doesn't care about anything other than the girl standing right in front of his eyes. Unlike others, Itsuki considers Kohane as a human, not a machine of any sort.

"I thought you'd never come back!" He cries, as he sweeps her up in a warm embrace. "I thought I'd lose you forever! Don't ever leave me again..."

Kohane wraps her arms around the 17-year-old tightly and rests her head on his shoulder. It's like the whole world is melting away at their touch.

Slowly, they break apart.

"I came back because Mikana finally woke me up. If it weren't for her motivating words, I don't know how I could've come to terms with my feelings. I'm sorry you had to wait," Kohane tells Itsuki softly as she gently holds his hands.

Itsuki shakes his head rapidly. "No, it was my fault for pushing you to your limit. But I also had the pleasure of Kurumi telling me everything. She told me what she told you before, and that may have influenced your decision last night," Itsuki says desperately as he grips onto Kohane's hands tightly.

They seat themselves down onto the futon, still holding onto each other.

"So she told you everything..." Kohane mutters as she looks away from Itsuki. Guilt tugs at her on the inside as she realizes how she had hurt him.

He nods. "I understand what you might have thought in that moment. I know it's best to think about the consequences first, so I'm glad you took that into consideration," he says as he strokes Kohane's hands.

She smiles bitterly. "You're not angry with me?" she asks, and Itsuki shakes his head.

"Of course not! How can I ever be mad at such an adorable girl!" He exclaims.

Shock spreads across the robot's face. "Did you just call me a... girl?" she questions.

Itsuki nods slowly this time. "Yes, because to me, you're a human. Just because you're manmade doesn't mean you don't have feelings. I won't ever treat you like some machine, I'll treat you with love and care forever... Will you accept me this time?" Itsuki says softly with pleading eyes.

If there's one thing I learnt from my experience, it's that you need to grasp every opportunity you have. I lost the opportunity to express my feelings to James, but you still have a chance to confess to Itsuki... There's no better time other than now. Don't make yourself regret not doing it, Mikana's voice says inside Kohane's head.

She's right, I have to grasp this opportunity or I'll regret it for eternity! She tells herself.

She nods and smiles. Words cannot express how grateful and delighted Itsuki is to see this.

"Wow, I actually can't believe that this is happening..." Itsuki says in great contentment, but also nervously.

With that, he inches his face towards Kohane's. This sends Kohane's core racing once again. However, she decides to go with the flow, and imitates what Itsuki is doing.

Bit by bit, their faces move closer to each other's until they are just centimeters apart.

The stars glow extra bright as the pair kiss for the first time. There are butterflies dancing in Kohane's stomach, and her core is still pounding beneath the metal shell of her body. 

Kohane's metal lips feel surprisingly warm against Itsuki's human ones. Maybe we're not that different after all...

As the two break apart from each other, Itsuki notices something odd. Something very odd.

"Kohane! Y-you're crying!" He exclaims (as soft as he can) as he points to the teardrops rolling down the robot's cheeks. She immediately touches them and tries to wipe them away.

"B-but how? W-what? How can this be..." she whines, as the tears continue to glide down her metallic face.

Itsuki smiles as he takes hold of her hands once again.

"M-maybe... It's just- I'm just so happy right now!" She sobs while trying to laugh and cry at the same time.

Itsuki helps her wipe away the tears with his hands. "I'm happy too, you know..." he whispers intimately as he pulls her in for another kiss.

As the night goes on, the two stay in each other's arms and fall asleep, with the moon and stars still shining brightly in the sky, watching an unbreakable bond form between the hearts of a human and a robot.