Chapter 8 - Purpose

The very next day, Itsuki plans a meetup with Kayla at Soleil once again. He feels the need to settle things between them once and for all. Besides, he's officially with Kohane now, so finally going up to Kayla and rejecting her would be appropriate.

Itsuki was always aware of her feelings towards him, but he never thought they'd share a future together, not as a couple anyway.

He arrives at the doorway of the restaurant and spots a girl with long blonde hair waving madly at him. She is seated at a table in the center of the restaurant today, different to her usual spot by the window.

Itsuki waves back before taking a seat in the chair opposite her.

"Want something to nibble on? I've got great recommendations this time! They've got the Sweetheart Menu up and running again! Since it's just us two this time, let's try something from there!" Kayla chirps as she hands Itsuki his copy of the menu. He grunts, but tries to do it politely.

"I'll be leaving soon anyway, I think I'll pass on that," he tells her.

"Oh, is that so? Well then, that's fine by me since there are many more opportunities for us to-" she smiles, but Itsuki cuts her off abruptly.

"Look Kayla, I want to get something straight," he begins.

Speaking of straight, Kayla sits up in her chair and folds her arms in front of her chest defensively. "Go on," she mumbles, clearly annoyed.

Itsuki takes a deep breath before he continues.

"I'm aware that you've been liking me for a while now, and I feel that it's time to settle this once and for all," he begins.

Kayla starts tapping rhythmically on the table, but her eyes are locked onto Itsuki's. Clearly, she's expecting something good out of this conversation.

"Look, I don't want to waste your time. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't feel the same way as you do. You're a great girl, and you've got such a great reputation as an intelligent, elegant, and ambitious young lady. I'm sure there'll be plenty of men out there who will cherish you and keep you close to their heart. But I feel that I'm not the right man for this task," Itsuki tells her, as much as it bothers him to have to be so honest with his close friend.

Itsuki notices Kayla's clenched fist and breaks into a cold sweat. He can tell that this is the calm before the storm.

Moments later, Kayla smashes her fist against the wood of the table, jolting the cutlery and startling the customers around the two.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! YOU'RE CHOOSING THAT PATHETIC ROBOT OVER ME?!!!" She bellows. Itsuki is taken aback by this.

"How dare you call her pathetic!" He shouts back. He can almost make out the steam coming from Kayla's ears.

"She's just a piece of damn metal!!! How is something like her supposed to know what love is?! She doesn't even know how to breathe! You can do better than this, Itsuki Hoshizaki," Kayla mocks as she abruptly stands up.

Itsuki can feel the anger simmering and rising within him.

"How would you know? You don't know a single thing about her! All you know is how to put people down and make them think rubbish of themselves! I know you told Kohane something upsetting last time and it's not cool, okay? What makes you think that you're so much better than her? Did you really think you could win me over with those sinful tactics of yours?!" Itsuki hollers.

Kayla slumps back down into her seat, and tears start forming in her eyes. Despite fighting them back, she keeps her head held high and glares at Itsuki.