[23]

---

---

I grabbed my phone and purse, walking out to the truck that Bella was letting me borrow as my grounding was lifted but hers was not (so Edward was giving her a lift home, so she could spend as much time as possible with him). I turned the ignition and made my way to Leah's. I had attended the funeral for Harry a few days before but had barely spoken to Leah as many others had attempted to comfort her and give her their condolences. I didn't want to interrupt. 

I parked outside her house, taking a deep breath as I reached the door. I knocked. 

Leah was the one who answered. 

"Hey, Leah," I greeted, sending the girl a small smile.

"Hey, Sky," she responded, quickly hugging me. "Come in."

I followed her to her bedroom and sat at the desk chair next to her bed. Leah sat on the bed. 

"I'm sorry I haven't spoken to you much since..." I trailed off. 

"It's fine, family comes first, even though your sister is a bitch," Leah spoke. 

"Leah," I warned. "I know you don't like her and there are times where she's too much for me but she is still my sister."

"I know but she just annoys me so much-"

"With how she's playing with Jacob's feeling. It pisses me off too," I finished. "Anyway, how are things?"

"Not great," Leah admitted. "I'm the only girl and then there's the Sam and Emily thing and I-" Leah cut herself off, thinking of what to finish her sentence with.

"Feel stuck?"

"Yeah," she sighed. 

I suddenly had an idea. Smiling, I stood up, holding out my hand to Leah. 

"Come on," I instructed. 

"What?"

"We're going to mine and you are spending the night," I insisted. "Sam can spare you for a day and think of it as protecting me while Victoria is out there," I explained. "I can call him and check?"

Leah nodded. I rang Sam, waiting for a reply. 

Finally, he picked up the phone.

"Hey, Sam. You're excusing Leah from her wolf duties tonight so she can stay round mine," I told. "And I'm not taking no for an answer."

"We weren't going to put her on patrol tonight anyway," Sam replied. 

"Good, thanks Sam, see you later."

I hung up. 

"Time to pack."

---

Leah and I were in my room, a bowl of popcorn between us and sweets spread across my bed as well. 

We had 'Legally Blonde' playing, a silence had fallen between the two of us.

"Just saying but Elle Woods is iconic," I told. "Girl turned around and went 'I'm going to Law school' and did it and her friends didn't say 'that's ridiculous' they were like 'we'll help you'. That's friendship," I explained.

Leah nodded in agreement.

There was another silence. 

"Sky, are you getting back with that bloodsucker?"

"No, I'm not getting back with Jasper," I replied, rolling my eyes. "He left and he was a dick before he did. If he wants me back he has to prove he's worth my time, and so far, he is not," I added

"Good," Leah replied. "He's not-"

"Good for me," I finished once again. "I know."

There was a long pause between us.

"I sent the letter."

Leah jolted into a sitting position. 

"The one to your parents?" She questioned.

"Yeah, I'm just waiting on a reply now," I explained. "I sent it like a week ago." I sat up.

"This is big, Sky," Leah told. 

"Yeah," I muttered. "I feel constantly sick feeling about it. What if they don't reply?" 

"Then you live your life how you did before: without them," Leah replied, placing her hand on the girl's shoulder. 

"I'm actually really glad we're friends," I revealed. 

"Glad this isn't one-sided," Leah quipped. "We're missing one of your favourite movies, so shut up and forget about your parents for the rest of this sleepover," Leah ordered. 

I nodded, following her advice, grabbing a handful of popcorn and watching the movie.

---

Leah left at lunchtime the following day and I was left watching the rest of the movie we had started. 

It was soon after that I heard the post fall through the letterbox. I took a deep breath, trying not to rush to the door. If they didn't reply, they didn't reply. It wasn't the end of the world. 

I made my way to the door, grabbing the small pile of mail. Flipping through it, I found a letter addressed to me. It was handwritten. I placed the rest of the mail on the side table, ripping open the letter in my hands. 

My eyes skimmed the letter.

They wanted to see me.

My biological parents wanted to see me.

They wanted to-

I closed my eyes, an attempt to block out everything. I was hyperventilating. Tears streamed down my face as dug my nails into my fists. 

"They want to-" I tried to speak.

"Skylar?" I heard a voice speak. 

I tried to speak. My breathing was close to normal again. 

"Oh my God, Skylar," he spoke. It was Jasper.

I opened my eyes. 

"Leave me alone," I begged, snatching the letter off of the floor. I began to fold it, my breathing becoming calmer, placing it back in the envelope. 

"Alice had a vision, you were-"

"I'm fine," I snapped. "I was shocked and- I'm fine now. You can leave," I added. 

"You're crying," Jasper pointed out. 

"So now you care about that?" I spat.

"Sky-"

"Please go away," I pleaded. 

There was a rush of air before I was alone again.