Chapter Two: Boredom

She was going to get in trouble for  this. So much trouble. Sleeping on the couch trouble. Violet not talking to her trouble. What was she supposed to do? She worked better when she was by herself, Violet knew that. She had been just about alone on the road more than she had been with a group. If anything, bringing Mitch and Aasim would’ve only worsened her chances.

With a sad expression, Clementine placed a soft kiss to Violet’s forehead, a small smile breaking through at the way Violet scrunched up her face in her sleep. She would only be gone a few days; one to get there, one to get back. Violet’s anger would last a week at the very most, and then they would be fine. With a faint smile, Clementine grabbed her bag and slung it around her shoulder, muttering a quick ‘I love you’ into their room, before walking out and shutting the door behind her.

“..Clementine?”

She surely wasn’t expecting that. “Uh… Hey, Tenn, what’re you doing up…?” She questioned, watching him tilt his head a bit and offer her a shrug.

“I had to use the bathroom,”

“Why didn’t you wake Mitch or Lou? They could've gone with you,” She questioned, momentarily forgetting that she was also sneaking out.

“It’s kinda weird...Louis tries to talk the whole time, and Mitch always seems annoyed when I ask,” Tenn explained. “Why do you have your backpack?”

Uh oh. “I’m...using the bathroom…?”

Tenn frowned. “You’re going to the school yourself, aren’t you.”

“Only because It’ll be quicker to get there and not have to worry about anyone else, Tenn. Don’t tell Vi,” She pleaded.

“Isn’t she gonna be mad…?”

Clementine cracked a smile. “She gets mad at me for doing lots of dumb stuff, so probably,”

Tenn gave her an unsure look, gripping the candle in his hand tighter, before sighing and slumping his shoulders. “If she asks I’m not gonna lie to her. I think she might figure it out when she wakes up anyways. But I won’t wake her up. Just be careful, okay?”

Clementine nodded. “I always am, bud. Get back to sleep. Make sure AJ doesn’t act up for me, alright?” Tenn nodded, snickering a bit as he rolled his eyes and walked past her, moving into the room he and AJ shared.

Without wasting another second, Clementine moved over to the door, slipping into her boots and tying them around her pants, shrugging on and zipping up her jacket before opening the front door. Snow had already covered a large part of the ground; this was going to be a worse trip than she thought.

-

Violet groaned, tilting her head as the sun hit her eyes. She hated that window. Hated it with a passion. Generally, they had a sheet covering it to block out the sun in the morning, but with the cold creeping through the walls, they needed the extra blanket to sleep with. Speaking of which,

Violet squinted her eyes groggily as she sat up, looking at the empty space next to her. Clementine hadn’t had a nightmare again, had she? She hadn’t had one in over a month. She sighed tiredly, whipping the blanket off her, fighting the urge to quite literally hiss as the air hit her skin. She hated the cold.

Her feet slipped into her slippers, toes curling into the fuzz, before she made her way out of the room and into the living room. Mitch was sat on the couch, hunched over his backpack as he loaded supplies into it, no doubt for the trip. Aasim was next to him, pad of paper in hand as he checked over it, most likely making sure they had enough to move.