7. Departure

Time will either pass you, or change you

Shimmering like glitter, the orange sunlight filtered through the vines, peeking through the canopy to a gentle nest beneath.

Curled up in a family of Mightyena and Poochyena, a young girl rumbled soft snores. The Pokemon were sprawled over her like a patchwork of shiny black and silver blankets, eager to enjoy the warmth and comfort of day.

Rustboro City was coming to rouse from the night, and this part of the outskirts were no exception.

Her hair was tangled in awful knots, and the girl's long-sleeved blouse was rubbed in dried mud. She didn't seem to mind it much-- after all, the secret base was tender with dew, and veiled by the protection of wild Pokemon.

A Lotad cuddled at the crook of her neck, and a Whismur wrapped loosely in her arms.

"Goodness, I really found you here!"

The interruption of a rather indignant woman made a few of the older in the pack hiss in displeasure, but the teenager made no real action to return the hostility.

She stayed and stood with confidence in her posture, keeping a watchful eye on the riled Mightyena, but checking a gaze on the sleeping child in the center.

She donned a deep blue pinafore, with long, mahogany brown hair pulled into pigtails. This girl was a respectable Gym Leader, despite her young age of fifteen.

"Wake up!" she raised her voice.

The girl bolted upright, horrifically wrenched from some dream, "I didn't steal the Berry Encyclopediaa!!!" she squeaked, half-asleep. Then, "I swear I returned it this time!"

Silence.

Her eyes swung to the intruder, who only folded her arms, staring down at the younger girl in a rather angered, judgemental manner. Promising death, the older girl glared sternly at Citrine, demanding a sort of explanation for that earlier outburst.

Citrine dripped with cold sweat, and swallowed a thick throatful of bile.

"Uh, good morning?"

"You were supposed to meet me two hours ago in front of the Gym!" she didn't raise her voice enough to make a scene, but it was still a harsh reprimand, "I ask around, and I find you sleeping in the wild?"

"Oh, that's because," Citrine chimed up quickly, "the Pokemon are keeping my temperature constant for me, because my sense of temperature's duller than a normal human's."

Citrine held Whismur in her hands, noting how it was awake and frantic from the noise. Lotad was still croaking sleepily on her lap, murmuring like it was sleep-talking.

"I don't believe Mr Riley actually approved of this," she sighed.

At that, Citrine chortled nervously, "he gave up, I guess."

A Poochyena crawled under Citrine's arm, itching for a cuddle and getting a little rub on the head in return. The Secret Base was serene and evergreen, a little haven for Pokemon, habituated by one friendly human.

In a way, the Gym Leader of Rustboro City felt utter admiration for this girl. She didn't know many that could come so near to the Mightyena Pack, after all.

The blonde girl, with a tad of branches in her hair, pulled herself to her feet.

Composing herself as best as one could right after a woozy awakening, she gave the older girl a sweet, polite greeting.

"I'll be in your care, Miss Roxanne," Citrine held out a hand in lieu of a handshake.

Roxanne took the hand, wincing at the smear of mud on her fingers.

"It would be my pleasure, Citrine," she spoke back, calm and retaining a professional facade. "I'll put in my utmost to ensure your safety in our trip toward Verdanturf City."