31. Party

Baby steps back into the world

"Wait, I don't think this is a good idea. I don't think this is a good ideeEAAAAAAHHHH!!!"

Citrine had never been carried like a princess before. Sure, she had a brother, but said brother was not all that strong of a man-- she was always either carried like a baby or set in a piggyback, and even then that was when she was a little smaller in stature.

Whismy hefted her up as if she weighed nothing. She clung on for dear life, femininity be damned.

Crowy the Zubat fluttered up with her bag in its claws, and Magney the Magnemite tested its limits with the wheelchair. It failed, and Lotty had to drag it up herself.

The route from Mauville to Lavaridge was laden with rocky hills and curving cliffs. There was, of course, a highway up the same route, but it was a long way around under the scorching summer (is it summer?) heat.

Citrine decided to cut straight through the forestry, because if they were going to struggle anyways, might as well get research done on the way.

They reached the top of the little hill, and looked out into the horizon.

It's not all that high, but it was high enough to see the tops of the trees and the magnificent jungle that stretched beyond. There was a gap where the highway evidently extended to the west, but forward-- forward was the mountain, and the red of volcanic soil.

"That's Mount Chimney!" she told her Pokemon, smiling as they chittered around in excitement.

It was still a ways off. They wouldn't make it all the way for another few days, at their very gradual pace.

Retrieving her camera from the back pocket, she captured the grand form of the volcano, and had her Pokemon sit in for a rather childish selfie.

She could see from here, the misty volcanic ashes bellowing from the top. A stark red against the blue skies, she felt the warmth even from here, in the heartfully baked soil, like a hug from mother nature.

"Let's stay here for tonight, and see if we can make it at least to the foot of the mount by tomorrow," she settled onto her wheelchair again, taking out her notebook for jottings.

With a cheer, Loudred hopped to a more level spot, breaking out the tents as he commanded the rest of the Pokemon to their duties.