17. Daycare

Love you no matter what

"The gentle, falling flakes of snow," she hymned, prayerfully, beautifully, with a tone lower than her speaking voice-- a delicate harmony, a gentle lullaby, "binds together in a prayer, to bestow shelter, to grant love--"

Cradling the baby Azurill in her hands, she let the Swellow perch sleepily on her shoulder, Poochyena laying its head on her lap. 

"A song of hope I'll sing," she hummed the note so melodiously, not breaking key, singing it just so sweetly, "to this fleeting wish of mine."

Deep in slumber, Citrine watched the Pokemon's tender sleeping faces, absorbed in the gentle soothing atmosphere.

Dressed in a white apron over her usual pink tank top and denim shorts, her hair was pulled to her back in one bulky ponytail. 

She caught sight of Lombre, Whismur and Wurmple scrambling around with boxes upon boxes, helping Old Lady Haruna carry the food stock to the basement.

Old Lady Haruna chased them around with her mighty walking stick, urging them and her trusty Vigoroth to get it done before lunch.

"My Vigoroth found you at dawn, it's a miracle none of you are sick!" she exclaimed as Citrine sipped on warm green tea in the house, "imagine me, waking up to an ape carrying a young girl!"

Citrine couldn't suppress the chuckle that bubbled from her.

Turning to Vigoroth, she smiled with a heartfelt 'Thank you' to it. Vigoroth blushed, waving ts hands in a 'no probs, no probs' manner.

"I'm really sorry to trouble you, Ma'am," Citrine looked down, rather guilty, "we were trying to make it for town, but it seems the storm caught up with us sooner than we could..."

At that, Lady Haruna just burst into boisterous laughter, "well, if you would listen tthat!" she mused, "Vigoroth my dearie, looks like we did them a favour!"

Citrine paused. Wait, what?

"You were in the backyard just now, weren't you?" Haruna pumped herself up for a rather exciting surprise, "why don't you go check out the front lawn?"

Citrine froze.

That's right-- this was the Daycare Place. That annoyingly expensive spot in the outskirts of...

She got up almost too quickly, bolting toward the front door in a scuffle with her Lombre. Wurmple was clinging to her hair for dear life, and Whismur was tragically belted out of her lap.

But outside, the view beyond the fence-- was only beauty.

Mauville City, known for its modern technology and bumbling game centers-- It lay before me, skyscraper after skyscraper, jostled in with short buildings and colorful rooves. Greenery wasn't lacking even from where she stood, and above she could find Pokemon rolling about in the branches, hopping around fountains--

She let out the most amazed gasp she'd ever breathed.

"We're right at the edge of Mauville, sweetheart!" Lady Haruna beamed proudly, as if she'd had this all planned out from the start--

Citrine watched the world light up before her, and her heart brimmed with anticipation.

"Bluk Berry Tart!" Citrine gawked at the cakes through the shop's window-- "Mago Berry Pudding? Hnnng, even though I couldn't find a single one of those back in the forests of Verdanturf? I wonder where they grow anyways..."

Bluk Berries are sour, but sweet, so it's the favorite of many-- and apparently, Mago Berries can be sweeter than honey? Oh, how she wished she could refer to that Berry Encyclopedia her brother wrote for her--

"Uhm," the concerned shopkeeper stepped out nervously, "may I help you anyhow?"

"One Berry Parfait, please!" Citrine raised her hand excitedly.

She was going sightseeing today!