32. Detour

The joy of unexpected things

"Thanks for keeping me warm, Ziggy," she rubbed the little raccoons on the head, making sure to pat all of them at least once, "hm? Oh, you have a beauty mark! Let's call you Beauty. Hm-- oh? You want a name too? Wait, I can't possibly name all of you! Get your mommy to name you... Oh, you're a different colour than the others! Let's call you Sparkly-- no, I need to stop naming you guys! Lord knows I have awful naming sense!"

Citrine was currently being crowded by a dozen little Zigzagoons fighting for her attention. She had somehow tamed herself a Zigzagoon army after feeding them a bunch of Poffins.

Linoone cosied up to her, resting its head on Citrine's lap after nuzzling against her stomach for a while.

Citrine blushed bright red, "no, c'mon!"

She caught sight of Loudred and Lombre, who stared at the sight looking devastated beyond belief. They looked half a moment from crying.

Suddenly she felt like a husband being caught cheating. Frantically, she waved her arms about, trying desperately to explain herself.

But too late, Lotty was wailing like a baby at this point, and Crowy was fluttering frantic circles around the Lombre. Magney, mindlessly stirring the pot on the other end, sulked and pretending it couldn't see a thing.

"Wait, this isn't what it looks like--"

Whismy used Uproar.

"Oh, not again!"

-

After an extended search, it seemed that the Zigzagoon were chased from their den because of a bad thunderstorm few nights back that wrecked a good portion of the forest.

That made sense. Loudred wouldn't have let anything else into her tent. Citrine felt significantly better this morning, curled up in softness. It's been a while since she slept near a source of heat regulation, after all. And the Zigzagoon were fluffy.

"Bye, Linny!" she waved at the Linoone as it led its litter back into the forest, "good luck finding a new den!"

Now to get back on the road.

Citrine could see the damage from the hill she stood. A whole portion of the jungle caved in, trees were broken at the trunks and some were peeled off by its roots. But because the trees were cleared out a certain portion, the white of brick peered from the gaps in the scenery.