You always are

Song ^ or >
Jordan Fisher as Logan Miller

Harper

After the night with my parents both Myles and I agreed that it was late and we would visit his mother the following day.

I think I was more excited to meet his sisters than I was to meet his mother. I was always better with younger people. Adults scare me. They're so judgmental. Though his fifteen year old sister may be just as judgmental as anyone else.

So here I am sitting in his beautiful corvette, seven weeks pregnant, and silently freaking out. But Myles seemed to feel my internal freak out, because without removing his eyes from the road his hand slipped comfortably on my thigh.

My shoulders sagged as I let out a long breath. I watched as we passed by the different restaurants, cafes, and parks. The smell of the early July summer activities and freshly cut grass dancing in the air.

Myles and I sat comfortably in the car, the low hum of the radio filling the silence, until we reached a well known suburban area.

Myles slowed the car down as we approached a booth, one elderly man sitting inside. When he noticed the car pulling up beside the booth, the elderly man focused his attention on us.

"How are you doing Myles?" he asked, a broad smile replacing his bored expression. Myles' face mirrored the old man's. "I'm doing great Henry, how 'bout yourself?" Myles asked, his southern twang more prominent.

"Enjoying life."

Myles laughed, "As you should be," Myles paused, "Are the girls here?"

Henry and I made eye contact. "They are," he said moving his gaze back to Myles.

"We 'otta get going then," Myles said waving his hand politely.

Henry gave him a curt nod, "I'll see you soon then." We slowly started to move forward, going at a steady pace on the suburban streets.

We take a few turns, passing by many beautiful houses. Finally we pull into the driveway of a tan, two story house. Myles and I exit the car at the same time. He waits for me to get to him before we make our way up the porch steps together.

Myles presses the doorbell softly, a few moments later we hear heavy footsteps approaching the door.

Myles has never mentioned a father, and I never pressured him about it, but it does not sound like a women who is approaching the door.

I feel Myles go rigid next to me.

When the door opened a large, burly man stood there with eyes wide and mouth slightly ajar. But the man quickly composed himself.

I noticed how the large man looks much like Myles, without the prominent smile lines, and bulging muscles.

I look at Myles whose mouth is set in a firm line as he stares at the man, his face tinged slightly red of anger.

"Honey who is it?" a soft voice asked as the door opened wider. When her eyes meet Myles, she stands frozen, as if she was caught committing a crime.

Myles looked at his mom with betrayal, still not speaking.

"I'm taking the girls out to lunch," he stated with no room for argument. His mom nodded meekly, pulling the man out of the doorway, leaving the door cracked as she goes to fetch Myles' sisters.

Myles closes his eyes, taking a deep breath. We hear light, rapid footsteps until the door swings open. A small girl stands there, her eyes big and a bright smile lighting up her face.