Her?

Song in the media box

Myles

She likes me!

She totally, one-hundred percent likes me.

The way she looks down and blushes without meeting my gaze.

The way she unknowingly fiddles with her hands and anything in them.

It's completely clear that she and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to our feelings for one another. We're just to scared to confront it.

I must have looked bat crazy skipping out of her apartment.

Me. A grown man. A professional athlete skipping around parking lots like a child.

It was comical really.

A smile lights up my face throughout the whole drive back to my apartment. One of which I wouldn't be living in for much longer now that I've found a big, beautiful house to move into so I'll have room for the baby.... and hopefully Harper as well.

I open my door to the sight of boxes and clothes scattered everywhere.

Stumbling around the mess I eat, shower, redress and go to bed, excited for the promise of seeing Harper tomorrow morning.

***

I hum to the sound of the radio as I drive to Harper's apartment, my fingers tapping to the beat on the steering wheel.

My heart begins to pound harder in my chest as I turn the corner and see several flashing blue and red lights sitting in the apartment lot.

The sound of my tires skidding against the asphalt is all I can hear as I get out of the car.

Silence consumes me as I look everywhere, trying to find someone to give me the answers I so desperately need.

Pushing the entrance doors open with maybe I little too much force, I find Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins, Harper's next door neighbors, talking to a police officer.

Mrs. Jenkins spots me, my eyes showing worry and confusion, her frail hands pull to her chest, and I feel like I'm drowning.

"Myles honey, I'm so sorry, they're taking her to the hospital now," as she says as a gurney carrying Harper's bloody, pale body passes.

"Go get in the ambulance and we'll follow you there and explain everything," Mrs. Jenkins said with authority.

I nodded weakly, running to catch up to the gurney.

"Are you family?" the medic asked, looking up from Harper's body.

"I'm her husband," I announce not thinking about it.

One day.

He nodded his head and gestured into the ambulance, preparing to lift Harper in.

As soon as I got in, Harper's unconscious body followed right after.

As the medics continue  to help her I run my fingers across her forehead that's covered in hair, matted down by blood.

There's no way to tell where the blood is coming from besides the overwhelming amount of gauze being held on her hip.

My heart drops to my stomach when I finally realize the gravity of the situation. It isn't just Harper who's life is on the line, but my unborn child as well.