Back to the beginning

Song ^ or >

Myles

Waking up with Harper sound asleep in my arms was a feeling I never want to forget. Though the feeling soon vanished when my eyes found the alarm clock and my brain instantly realized it was time to leave for practice.

I sighed, gently moving her from off of my body. Remembering the dry erase board on the fridge I quickly scribble down a note telling her I left.

On my way out I close the door as gently as possible, making sure not to wake her up in the process.

Practice started as normal as any other day. Conditioning, drills, more conditioning, until coach gave us an extended water break, to catch our breaths and get ourselves hydrated from the scolding July heat.

One of my teammates, one of the ones I'm not as close with came up to me, a small grin on his lips. "Man, what's goin' on with you and that pretty little brunette?" he asked throwing his arm over my shoulder.

"Harper, right?"

I scoffed, "Dude what do you think? She's carrying my baby," I said looking at him with a "duh" face.

He shrugged his shoulders, "But is that it or are you guys a thing? Because if not, she's pretty hot." I could feel my whole body tense in a sudden surge of anger. 

"Caleb, she's pregnant," one of the guys watching the conversation said.

"So?" he started, "I've always liked kids," he said with a smug smile that I wish I could knock right off his face.

"My kid, Caleb. My girl too."

He smirked, "Does she know that?"

I faltered for a second, but that was all it took for him to give me a smug look and walk away.

I wanted to fight him, to tell him that Harper knew my feeling for her stretched beyond our lime sized baby. But in truth, she probably didn't. In her eyes I was the father of her baby, and that's the only reason I'm always around her, talking to her, worrying for her.

She didn't know that my feelings for her ran deeper than that.

As far as she knew she could go out with any random guy and I would be one hundred percent okay with it.

But that is far from the truth.

I would be angry, enraged. Jealous. And that's startling because I do a pretty good job of keeping my feelings in check. But with Harper it's like I've lost all sense of self control.

***

The rest of practice my head hadn't been in it. My tackles were trash and the idea of running the ball into the end zone had felt impossible.

But it was over.

As I walked outside the stadium I dialed Harpers phone number, desperate to hear her voice.

I called, and called, and called. Yet there was no answer. No text message. Nothing.

My heart pumped faster as worry consumed me.

I drove to her apartment, knocking frantically on her door. No answer. I thought of all the places she could be. Then I remembered this cafe she had mentioned she loved many times. The one her friend Logan works at.

I sped off. My stomach in knots. Once I was parked I ran towards the entrance. Then I stopped. Through the clear, glass doors I could see her. Her bright smile making everything better. Her eyes shining as she laughed.

I threw the door open, making the bells ring. She looked over towards me her smile brightening, but a confused look fade it's way into her beautiful face as she took me in.

I strode towards Harper quickly and gracefully. Once I got to her I reached forward, cradling her face, not thinking of the consequences as I smashed my lips against hers.

Her response was immediate. Kissing me back with the same hunger and passion as the first time.

It felt like we were back to the beginning. Back to when we first met.

Much sooner than I would have liked the kiss slowed down, my hands moving from her warm face, to her curvaceous hips.

She pulled away. But I just need one more taste. I leaned my head back down to hers to give her a few light pecks.

I rested my forehead on hers.

"You didn't answer my calls, I was worried," I said after a moment of silence.

"I'm sorry," she said in a breathy whisper, her eyes still close. Her chest rising and falling erratically.

"I left my phone at home."

I shook my head side-to-side, "Please don't do it again."

She nodded her head against mine.

Noticing the silence surrounding us, she pulled back, looking around the dead silent cafe that had no more than ten people staring at us, some filming us.

I guess I hadn't thought about the fact that someone in here could recognize who I am.

A throat was cleared behind me. When I turned I saw a tall lean man with espresso colored skin standing next to Harper.

He extended his hand towards me, "You must be Myles. Harper's told me much about you."

She talked about me?

"Yeah that's me," I said with a wide smile, shaking his hand.

"I'm Logan," he said returning my smile.

"Oh yeah! Your parents own this place, right?"

"Yeah."

I looked towards Harper, who had flushed cheeks and swollen lips. She looked deep in thought, staring off at nowhere in particular. Her eyes were glazed over and her teeth dug into the edge of her plump bottom lip.

As if she could feel my stare on her, her eyes slowly lifted, meeting mine.

"Home?" I asked extending my hand for her.

A small smile adorned her lips, "Home."

____________________________________

*Hides in corner*

Sorry I'm just now publishing....

- Taylor