four

THE AXEMAN'S LETTER
______________

THE AXEMAN'S LETTER______________

______________

DAVINA HAD CALLED ME AND TOLD ME TO HURRY TO LAFAYETTE CEMETERY BECAUSE SHE NEEDED HELP. I entered the tomb she was in. Davina was wearing a formal black dress and the witches were fussing over her.

Jackson entered and I smiled at him but it was short lived when Hayley entered behind him, "What is she doing here?" I asked.

I turned back to Davina, "I thought you needed an Alpha"

"She did. Which is why she called us" Hayley replied.

I looked at her, "You're not an alpha, you lost that title when you bowed down at the ceremony"

Davina cleared her throat and held two scarves up, "Could you stop bickering and help me? I have to pick one— orange or purple?"

"Did you seriously call us here to play Fashion Police?" I asked.

One of the witches was swinging an incense ball in front of Davina, "Okay, I know this is sacred oil, but can we please not do that right now?"

The witches left us alone in the tomb. Davina sighed. She wrapped the orange scarf around her neck, "Sorry. Thanks for coming"

Hayley rolled her eyes, "Like we had a choice, Davina. Either we do your bidding or you blow out that candle of yours and turn us back into wolves. So, we're pretty much your slaves"

"Now Hayley, come on. This is the deal we made" Jackson said.

Hayley shook her head, "No, Jack. This is the deal your sister made"

"You're more than welcome to return to being a wolf every day. We'll be fine here, on two legs" I told her.

"Oh yeah? I bet you'd get Klau—"

I rolled my eyes, "Why don't you stop talking and let Davina say her piece, hmm?"

Jackson gave me a disapproving look that I ignored. I turned back to Davina, "What do you want?"

"This is my first Cadeau as Regent," The Witch told us, nervously, "Since I represent the city, the covens have to pay tribute to me, and I throw them a party. I need them to respect me, but this is the first public event since—"

"Since you had me kill those witches in the 9th Ward?" I asked.

Davina nodded, uncomfortably, "I have a feeling it might not go so well, especially since Van Nguyen blames me for what happened to his mom. He vowed to get back at me. Actually, he said he would erase me. I mean, who even talks like that?"