sixteen

BEHIND THE BLACK HORIZON
______________

BEHIND THE BLACK HORIZON______________

______________

KLAUS AND I STAYED IN THE APPALACHIANS AFTER LEARNING THAT LUCIEN WAS UP TO NO GOOD. I had called Hayley to come meet us at Mad Crow Diner but she wasn't the one who pulled up in the car, Mary was.

Mary stepped out and I froze when I saw her, "W-where's Hayley?"

"Back in the city" She answered, "Figured you and I should have a talk about Jack"

"I understand that you're angry at me, I am too," I told her. I walked past her to settle Hope and Liam into the back seat.

When I finished, I looked up to find the twins looking at me. I smiled, "The two of you are gonna hang out with grandma Mary for a little bit. Mommy will see you soon" I kissed them on their foreheads before I closed the door.

"I haven't seen you in months" Mary spoke.

"There's been a lot going on," I said.

"So I've heard but you never told me" Mary replied.

I sighed, "It was a group of vampires. They kidnapped Jackson and Hayley. I went out to the Bayou to check on them and this group shot me with wolfsbane laced tranquil darts. They took us to this warehouse or whatever and. . . well, Jack he—" I paused not knowing how to tell her. She obviously knew about it already but she wanted me to tell her.

"What did they do, Thalia?" Mary asked.

I faced her, "The leader of that cult-like group ripped Jackson's heart out, Hayley and I were tied up so we couldn't do anything but watch. . . I'm so sorry Mary"

"Don't be. You tried to save him" Mary said.

I shook my head, "But I didn't. I didn't do anything but cry when I should've kept him safe from everything"

"Hayley told me you blame yourself for it but Jack's death was not your fault. It didn't happen because you decided to come back to New Orleans. I don't blame you and you shouldn't blame yourself" Mary told me, "You avenged his death and helped free us. You've done more than enough"

I looked at my grandmother, tears in my eyes, "You know what I really want right now?"

"What?"

"My mom"

MARY LEFT WITH THE TWINS AND I ENTERED WHERE KLAUS WAS WAITING. I approached him, he was on the phone.

"If you find him, don't hesitate" He spoke before he hung up on whoever he was talking to.

"The twins are down for the count," I told him, "Hope fell asleep as soon as Mary started the car and I'm sure Liam will follow. I doubt they'll miss either of us over the next few days"