Opposite

"I will not have them punished," Artemis said. "I will have them rewarded. If we destroy heroes who do us a great favour, then we are no better than the Titans. If this is Olympian justice, I will have none of it."

"These two children are dangerous!" Athena protested. "One is bound to turn sixteen in two years, and the other tomorrow. You cannot want them to live."

"I want them both to live," Artemis confirmed. "Both are worthy heroes who have done us good. Killing them is no reward."

"You would choose a boy over the council?" Athena growled.

"That boy saved your daughter's life," Artemis argued. "He has rescued me and gained the favour of my lieutenant, which is more than enough to convince me."

"We kill the daughter of Poseidon and leave my son alone," Zeus said. "It suits both sides."

"No, it does not!" Artemis barked. "Do you forget that she brought back your master bolt? Saved your son from eternal demise? Will you kill the one that rescued me?"

Zeus thought for a moment, weighing his options. Finally, he said grudgingly "alright. Pacific Jackson and Talon Grace will both live. That is their reward."

"A poor one," Artemis said. "Which is why I must first make a reward. My faithful companion, Zoë Nightshade, has passed into the stars. I must have a new lieutenant. And I intend to choose one." Artemis turned and looked towards the two anxious demigods standing in the middle of the room. "If she will accept it."

"No," Talon muttered, looking at his friend/rival Pacific Jackson. No matter how much they fought, both were as close as could be. Well, not quite, but it was a possibility. That might be ruined in a matter of moments.

"Pacific," Artemis said. "Daughter of Poseidon. Will you join the hunt?"

There was silence. Pacific was stunned, her eyes wide, and Talon gripped his hands into fists. There were no words until Pacific spoke her answer. "Yes," she said quietly, then louder. "I will join the hunt."

"My daughter, consider well-" Poseidon began, but was bravely interrupted.

"No, father," Pacific said. "I am sure. Besides, this is one way to avoid my sixteenth." She turned to the son of Zeus, smiling sadly. "Talon is more than worthy and a much better option that I would be. I hand the prophecy down to him."

Pacific turned to Artemis, who slipped down into her human size and beckoned her over. She strode to the goddess, kneeling in front of her and reciting the binding oath. "I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis. I turn my back on the company of men, accept eternal maidenhood, and join the hunt." Artemis smiled and waved her hand over the girl's head. She began to glow a slight silver, signalling her new immortality. Her new unreachability.

Talon was unable to get to Pacific for a while until he was finally able to seek her out. She was alone, leaning against a tree a ways away from the party itself. She looked up when Talon approached, her entrancing sea green eyes capturing his electric blue ones, then looked back away. She began to speak. "You know I had to do this. It was the only way."

"It can't be," Talon protested. "There must be another way to prolong the prophecy."

"It's your responsibility to defeat Kronos, not mine," Pacific said sadly. "I hate to leave you alone to deal with it, but there really isn't any other way."

"I know!" Talon cried. "I know and I hate it. You're the only one I've ever related to. The only one who understands my struggles as a child of Zeus."

"I feel the same, but Talon, nothing can change this. It's permanent." A tear slipped down the girl's face. "Kill Kronos for me, please. He took away my chance at love."

Talon grasped her hands in his. "I will," he said. "I swear it on the Styx."