Chapter Twelve

Alice's POV:
    I was frozen as I stared at the women who was staring right back at me. Why was she here, now?

  "Well, Alice, are you going to just stand there or are you going to invite me in?" I stepped aside to let the women come in, but I was still staring. "I guess by the look on you face you weren't expecting me to stop by."

  "I... I.. What..?" I have no idea what I'm supposed to say, so I go on the defense. "What the hell are you doing here Gladys?"

"Well it's nice to see you haven't changed one bit, but to answer your question I have no idea why I'm here. I was talking to Jughead over the phone the other day, and he told about Hal. Alice, I would say I'm sorry, but you never loved him."

"Excuse me! What's that supposed to mean!" I was starting to get mad, but I wasn't sure if it was because I took offense or the hormones.

"Cut the crap, Alice! We both know that you're still in love with FP!"

"What?" I was speechless.

  "You and FP have both been head over heels in love with him since high school." She goes over to sit on the couch and I follow.

  "Gladys, I don't get it, if you knew that then why are you married to him?"

"When you left we were both broken. I lost my best friend and FP, well he lost the love of his life. Neither of us knew what to do, but find comfort in each other. So we got married, had two kids, but we grew apart. He loves you, Alice. I'm divorcing him, so you go to him." She grabbed my hand and I was filled with warmth. "We miss you, Smith, both of us. Don't let what happened with Hal close you off from coming back to us."

I couldn't hold back the tears any longer. She grabbed me in an embrace and just let me cry. When I eventually calmed down I want able to keep it in any longer, I had to tell someone.
  "I'm pregnant."