Chapter Thirteen

Alice's POV:
  "I'm pregnant!" She still had her arms around me when those fleeting words cane out of my mouth. I couldn't tell you why I told her this, but all I knew was these arms weren't the ones I wanted to be in. 

  "You're.. you're... pregnant?" Gladys was flabbergasted by the news, and too my great relief she didn't let go of me, but held me tighter as I cried into her even more.

  "I don't know what I'm going to do!" At this point I was hyperventilating into her chest. "I don't think I can handle this alone."

  "Hey, Hey, Smith listen to me !" She grabbed my face to make sure that I listened to her. "You are not alone! Listen to me, we can get through this together!" She put me back in her arms and gently stroked my back until I fell asleep.

  I woke up and to my surprise she was still here.

"Well look who is awake!" She turned off the TV. "Did you sleep well?"

"I did actually, and I'm a little surprised you're still here." 

"I know you well enough to know that if you wake up alone when you weren't previously it gives you a panic attack, and that can't be good for the baby. I also figured we have a lot more to talk about, like maybe the babies father?" I just stared at her, a little lost for words. "It's FP isn't it?"

"Gladys, I..."

"Save it Smith. FP told me a long time ago that he always loved you and will always love you. I also always knew that you two are endgame. I also can't say that I don't regret being with him because it gave me my two wonderful kids." She grabbed and squeezed my hand and gave me an almost, almost pitiful look. "I'm also guessing that you being here all alone means that you two are A) Not together and B) He has no idea about the baby."

I started absentmindedly stroking the little baby bump that was starting to form. "Even if we were together, even if I was sure what to do about this baby, how would I tell him? How would I still my daughter and your son, who ware dating by the way, that there parents not only had sexual relations, but are pregnant!"

"Wait, Smith slow down. What did you mean you don't know what do with the baby? Please tell me you aren't considering giving another Jones baby up for adoption! You forget that I was with you when you had to give up your son, how that killed you! Or are you forgetting how I lied to FP for years for you, telling him that I had no clue why you left him for that freak show!" I wasn't able to meet her eyes and that's how she knew that I was considering something else, something different all together.
"Smith, you aren't considering abortion, are you?"