3: Uninvited Guest

Giloma... that was the name of the intruder that invaded my body and made a mess of the place. It was like an uninvited guest, not only making itself at home, but forgetting to take off their shoes; leaving whatever tread marks they could all over my brain. Leaving a trail in every single room; from the way I breathed to the weakness and constant fatigue. To the soreness of my bones and the aching headaches. All of this, because of my uninvited guest.

                I read through the various pamphlets the doctor from yesterday had provided me with. Although she had come back after my family left to better explain things for me, I was a reader and grasped more from doing my own study as opposed to hearing it from someone else. I had spent the whole night yesterday reading these things back and front to the point where I had memorized most og the words. It was all very overwhelming, but still pretty crazy to think how the human body really worked.

Every question I had, the nurses were nice enough to answer my emergency calls and answer them for me. I had most of the symptoms listed but except for the seizures... or so I thought; until the doctor explained to me that I did in fact have them; they were called absence seizures. My body didn't show it, it felt like nothing but a simple day dream but the brain waves from my monitor guaranteed, that they were frequent but they sure as hell were happening.

                I sighed after having enough and finally placed the pamphlet onto the nightstand with the rest of them. I pushed my blanket to the side and helped myself up, after being here for two days I was much more mobile. As of last night, I was able to walk around with my IV machine, so I had spent most of the night roaming the halls and making friends with some of the cleaning staff on the floor since they were the only ones up. This morning however, they removed my IV and gave me a list of prescriptions that I had to taken in order to lower my pain when I got home.

I had gotten news that since I was refusing the treatment I was being discharged today, which is what I was hoping for. Laying around in this room was doing nothing but causing the days to go to waste and I had created after finding out. A list that could and would not be reckoned with. So, what I needed, was for these people to hurry up and get me out of here. I was dressed and ready to go.

                I walked over to the door and placed my hand on the door knob. The nurses station just so happened to be right across from my room and I didn't want them to think I was nagging them or anything; being as this was my sixth time getting up, within the last hour.

Unfortunately, as soon as I opened the door, my nurse stood there waiting for me with papers in her hand, she flashed me a quick smile. "Looking for me?" she asked.

"Yes, I was actually."

"I bet. Well, I got these for you to sign and you should be on your way out."

"Finally!" I sighed, turning on my heels and heading back to my bed where I could have a seat and sign it.

"Did you get to call your parents?" she asked me.

"Yes, they should be coming soon."

"Okay, do you know how soon?" I shook my head as she placed the documents into my hand, on a clipboard that had a pen attached to it. "I'm just asking because we're going to have to get this room cleaned and prepped for a new patient that's on her way up, being as you're ready an-."

"I can wait for them in the lobby." I said, shooting her an irritated look. They went from me waiting, to kicking me out? this health care system, I tell ya. I returned my attention back to the documents, that I read over closely before signing at the dotted line. It was the discharge papers along with a waiver; a signed agreement letting the corporation know that I was leaving on my own will and refusing the treatment methods offered. Easy.