21: Positive Pick

Trey Wiggins

"Mama!" I yelled as I entered the house, throwing my keys onto the kitchen counter as I kicked off my shoes.

Nothing but silence and the smell of dinner, greeted me however. I assumed my mother probably picked up an extra shift since she had to miss one the other day due to my sister being sick. My sister however, was probably by my aunts. For some reason my mom thought that me watching her was such a burden, but in reality, it just made us distant as siblings, we only saw each other in passing for the most parts and on weekends if she wasn't at some sleepover. It sucked, but I guess it made things a little bit easier for me, in regards to being on top of my goals and focusing on my future.

I rushed up the stairs, pushing open my room door to a neatly spread bed along with my dried laundry sending up a fresh aroma of Snuggle sheets. My mom was definitely, a gem.

I yawned, while taking off my sweater and throwing myself onto the bed, I was definitely beat from having practice in the morning to spending the majority of the day with Des, I needed a nap... or maybe even two.

Just when my eyes began to grow heavy however, my phone buzzed in the back pocket of my jeans. I groaned aloud, rolling over to gain access of it. With my eyes still shut, I placed it against my ears and answered, "hello?" I said, though another yawn.

"Tremaine, I've been calling and texting you all day."

I rolled my eyes, that's why it was important to check the caller ID. "My bad, I was just a little busy..." I lied. "You, alright?"

"Nah, I'm outside. Open up."

"You're outside? right now?" my eyes flickered open and I stood up, walking over to the blinds so I could peak through the cracks. "That's what I said." she replied, into my phone as I watched her car pull up right behind mine. "Open up." She said, once more before hanging up.

I swear, I should've parked in the garage the way my moms been instructing me to do for years.

Groaning, I threw my phone onto the bed and took my time as I mentally cussed myself out while walking down the stairs to get the door. Brooklyn rang the doorbell continuously, making me even more annoyed than I was to begin with.

I turned the locks and opened the door, stepping aside for her to walk in. Brooklyn removed her sunglasses and placed them on top of her head, revealing her bare face, she wore a comfy pair of Adidas track pants and one of my basketball shirt's of course. A Starbucks drink in hand.

As she made her way up the stairs to my room, I shut the door and ran my hand along the side of my face as I followed her lead.

Brooklyn placed her purse onto my night stand before kicking off her furry slippers and climbing into my bed, like old times. "You good?" I asked her, while she took a sip of her drink.

"Want some?" she asked, extending it to me.

"You know I don't like that stuff."

"I'm pregnant now," she smirked, "no caffeine this time. it's a refresher, I know you'll like it."

"You swear you know me..."

"I know you," she said, looking up at me with a smug little grin. "Try it."

"I'm honestly, good. You can have that." I said through a yawn. Once I got it all out, I climbed into the bed as well and laid on my stomach next to her. My eyes closed and I listened to the sound of her stirring her drink, "what's the matter, Brooklyn?"

"Nothing... I just wanted to chill."

"I know you just as much as you know me." I said softly, while placing my hand against her thigh and rubbing it with my thumb. "They're fighting again?"