12: Confidence

Desiree Sanders

I stood in the mirror, checking out my brand-new bathing suit. Today was the big day, my first party without being chaperoned and I was so excited that I couldn't even sleep the following night. After the day spent with Trey, I got home and we spent hours on the phone, continuing to get to know one another. I was shocked that he was more down to earth that I had always thought, he was extremely funny and casually sweet. I wasn't used to the attention he gave me or the intention to actually get to know me the way he did. It seemed as if my dreams were finally beginning to become true and I believed today would be the seal of approval.

The remainder of the week we started chilling a lot more, we were still getting used to each other so we didn't do anything too public. Mostly, during my last two period, we'd go watch a movie, grab a bite to each, just chill and talk. Although I hated skipping classes, Trey had a way for someone to get my named marked down as present on the scantron. Once I realized that it worked, I stopped caring to be quite honest. As long as he had a blunt and a plan, I was down.

Turning to the back, I checked out how much of my booty was exposed. In my eyes, it was a whole lot but I knew the girls and Georgian and figured this would be conservative in comparison to them.

I heard a knock on my door and quickly grabbed the robe that I had sitting on my bed, with the quickness I wrapped it around my body and put the Old Navy bag under my bed. "Come in," I yelled, sitting on the edge and grabbing my phone so I could look as normal as possible.

"It's me!" my mom said as she entered, holding a hamper filled with laundry.

"...you're home?"

"Of course, I'm home." She smiled. "I thought I'd take the day to get some housework done."

"But... it's Saturday."

"I know." She laughed. "And tomorrow is Sunday..."

"You normally volunteer at the clinic on Saturdays."

"I'm aware, but today I felt like switching it up. I thought maybe we could go do some shopping with your grandma."

"I can't... I told dad that I was going to a pool party today."

"You did?" she questioned.

"Yes. I did and he said yes."

"I'm surprised he didn't ask me about that."

"Well, you aren't usually here." I shrugged. "It's the last party of the summer so I can't miss it."

"Since when did you care about parties..."

"Since... I found out I had a ticking time bomb in my brain?" I smirked and stood up, walking towards her to take the hamper from her arms. I could sense the tension in the room so I started placing them into my drawers.

"Desiree..." she said softly.

"Mhmm." I hummed, keeping my eyes on the clothes.

"Look, I know that I haven't been as present as I would've liked but I want you to know that I'm still your mother. I still care for you and I'd still like to have a say so in regards to the things you do and the places you go. Ticking time bomb or not, you're my daughter and this is my house." I turned around to look at her, I could see the anger in her stance as her arms sat folded across her chest. "I don't think I want you going to a party."

"...It's just a party mom, Gio and I go to them all the time."

"Yeah well this is different and you know it. You should be resting."