37: Missed You

Jeremiah Mohammed

I sat at a crossroads, a lot going through my mind as I read the time before me. It was nine thirty and I was currently at my mother's hotel, which wasn't too far from the bus station; meaning it wasn't too late for me to decide to go. My mother's offer had a lot of opportunities, but the loyalty inside of me was having a hard time accepting it. All I could think about was my father, although he may not have been the best, he was still my dad at that. I couldn't imagine how broken he would've been if me being the last person in his life, was to leave him also. Despite whether or not he told me a lie in comparison to what my mother told me, that was still MY dad.

Then on the other hand, I knew I cared a lot about him; but... it was becoming the time to care about me. My mom opened up my understanding that eventually, you gotta chase what makes you happy, pick yourself when no one else does.

And that was exactly why I was stuck here, at a cross roads. I simply, didn't know what it is that I needed to do at this point. I didn't know which choice was the right one to make, but if there was one thing that I was sure about; it was the fact that I felt like hearing from her was what I needed in order to set my anxiety and overthinking at bay. I needed to see her face one last time, I knew she'd have the words to say and it just sucked that in this very moment she was so upset that she refused to answer my various messages and calls. I, even turned my phone back on, thinking maybe she'd surprise me, but silly me to forget how stubborn Ms. Desiree could actually be. I felt like a fool wanting to do this, but right about now, it was the only choice I had... I needed to pull up.

I stood from my seat, grabbing my phone and my wallet from the coffee table. My mother stepped out wearing her house robe, her hair wrapped up into a towel. "I'm about to step out." I told her as I reached for my backpack that sat by the corner of the chair.

"Going after her, aren't you?" she asked, resting her hand against her hip.

I glanced up at her, as I adjusted the bag on my back. I flashed her a slight smile and it matched the one that curved her lips. "Take the car," she said, pointing over at the keys on the coffee table. "It'll save you some time."

"Thank you." I nodded as I grabbed them as well, heading for my shoes at the front. I waved goodbye to her and basically sprinted for the elevator, with time against me; I had to put all those basketball suicides to work.

I climbed off the elevator, saying my 'excuse me's' as I made my way through the others that took their time getting off. I ran out towards the hotel parking lot and quickly spotted the luxurious car my mom drove. I hopped in the driver's side, throwing my back into the passenger's side before starting up the engine and pulling off.

I patted my pocket until I located my phone, I took it out while still trying to steer. I dialed Amber's number and put it on speaker as I continued to make my way into town. "Come on, come on, come on." I said to myself, while it rung.

"Hello?!" I soon heard her say.

"Amber!"

"Jeremiah."

"I need your help with something... I know that Des isn't home right now. Do you have any idea of where she's staying at?"

"Yeah, they're at an Airbnb. I'll send you the address."

"Please do, for some reason, she isn't answering my texts."

"Neither mine, maybe she's sleeping or something."

I shrugged as if she could see me. "Maybe." I agreed.

"Alright, sending it now."

"Thanks again."