22: Back Up Your Bark

Giovanni Sanders

Today, I got up extremely early, showered, put on something nice enough but still calm so that it didn't look like I was doing too, too much.

I sprayed myself with my dad's most expensive cologne then brushed my hair as best as I could. I wish I would've had the time to squeeze in a hair cut as well, but unfortunately, I had too much going on for that. Once again, work, school, basketball and now, Hazel was trying to weasel her way back into my life. My hands were pretty much full, but today... was special.

I examined myself in my mirror once more, before giving my reflection a nod of approval. I was good to go.

I stepped out of my room and went to knock on Desiree's door, before I could; it opened and for the first time in forever, she stepped out, ready to go. I took a step back and sized her up, trying to figure out who the hell she was and what she did with my sister. I mean, her face was the same, but everything else... was foreign to me. New clothes, new hair, her makeup was done up more than usual. I mean, of course she looked good because the base of all that was my beautiful sister, but... it was all so odd. "Ready?" she asked, removing her shades, to give me full access to seeing even the eye look that I'm sure I never saw her do before.

".... I mean... yeah?" my brow raised and I smirked to myself.

"Good, let's go. I'm not trying to be too late for school today." She walked past me and said her greetings to my grandmother before heading straight for the door. Luckily, my pops was still at work because knowing him; seeing my sister in a skirt that length, would've given him a stroke.

I walked out into the hallway to see my grandmother staring in the direction of the door with her mouth wide open, she glanced over at me and I just casually shrugged before smirking as I grabbed my keys to go.

Desiree stood by the elevator, busy paying attention to her phone. As I shut the door, she looked up at me and sized me up as well. "Hot date?" she asked.

"Not at all, just bringing you in for your check up, dropping you to school then heading back home to my bed."

"That's quite an outfit choice for bringing me to get a check up."

"That's quite an outfit for Georgian..."

"I have plans for after school."

"Plans with who?" I folded my arms and said.

"Remember what I told you about my business and your business..."

"Desiree."

"That's my name, don't wear it out."

The elevator dinged and we both climbed on, joining the usual morning group that went down. Desiree and I normally stayed silent while the most of them mingled but today, she had a little bit too much pep in her step, greeting everyone with an unusual good morning, complimenting a few. Desiree, was being mad... weird. The doctor couldn't have chosen a better day for her to get a check up because she needed one, without a doubt.

-

We parked in the hospital parking lot and it was as if my stomach was in shambles. So many thoughts running though my head, I hadn't seen Gabby ever since our little talk in her car after she got me out. As much as I was digging spending time with Hazel, Gabrielle was the only thing on my mind. If anything, her words that night made me, crave being around her more than I did before.

However, once again, she was 'ghosting me'. I knew it was best to leave her alone but when she called Des in for an appointment today, I couldn't help but tag a long. I needed, to see her just to fulfill my heart's desire at this point in time.