twenty

Rosalie arrived early to the DADA room like she always did, she enjoyed talking to Remus before the class started. They often discussed what was in store for the lesson but often the conversation got sidetracked onto something else. It was a small thing but it was a small thing she enjoyed, so it was no surprise that Rosalie was disappointed when she was met with an empty classroom.

It hadn't happened before, Remus was always in his classroom setting up for the next class, something she also enjoyed helping with, and it started to become a routine for them. Rosalie frowned as she plopped down her stuff onto the table and span her to head to scan the whole classroom.

"Remus?" She called out, wondering if he was in the cupboard or his office. She gave a huff when there was no reply and sat down on her chair.

It didn't take long for the room to fill up with other students, all had got use to seeing Rosalie already set up and waiting when they arrived but all were surprised to not see her chatting away with their Professor.

"Where's Professor Lupin?" Hermione asked, suddenly appearing next to the older witch making her jump and eye the necklace Hermione tucked into her jumper quickly. Rosalie gave her an annoyed look but answered the question.

"I'm not sure, he wasn't here when I came in earlier."

"Strange," Hermione commented as she got out her things for the class. Before either of them could continue with their conversation a door slam made all the students jump and quiet down. Rosalie turned to see Professor Snape walking to the front of the classroom, his eyes never looking at anyone and everyone mentally groaned.

Rosalie and Snape might have a new mutual understanding of one another but it did not mean she was pleased to see him. DADA had quickly become her favourite subject that year, even taking over potions, and a big part of it was because of Remus -though she'd never admit it- but now stood Snape in the front of the classroom, looking down at everyone.

"Where's Professor Lupin?" Rosalie questioned before she could stop herself, he glanced down at her, Snape paused and the look he gave put her on edge, it was a look she had seen only a few times from him, and it only seemed to appear when she was with Remus.

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," he answered but gave a twisted smile that Rosalie did not like, she bit back the urge to ask further questions knowing far too well Snape did not want to answer them. Harry, on the other hand, did not care for what Snape did and did not want to do.

"What's wrong with him?" he pipped up, Rosalie gave him a glare from across the room, this was no time to ask questions but Snape surprisingly answered it with no pause or glare.

"Nothing life-threatening."

Rosalie forced herself to ignore the twisted smile Snape held and focused on the lesson, she couldn't let him distract her from learning, she brought a smile to her face and asked in her sweetest voice.

"What will we be learning about today Professor?"

Snape huffed and simply replied, "Turn to page three hundred and ninety-four." Rosalie nibbled on her bottom lip as she remembered what information laid on that page number, this wasn't something they were supposed to learn yet, they were supposed to start Hinkypunks. She tapped nervously on her table as she heard pages turn, everyone trying to find the right page. Something felt off, though she wasn't sure what.

Rosalie tried to block out most of what was happening when she opened her book to the correct page, information of werewolves filling her mind again. Hermione was blabbering away to Snape who snapped back unnecessarily. Rosalie wanted to defend her friend like she used to but Snape had been so helpful to her recently that she couldn't find it in her to say anything. She kept her head down and focused on reading and keeping her mouth shut.

The lesson went far slower than she would have liked and by the end, she felt herself suppressing her anger. Snape had nothing nice to say about anyone and it seemed he purposely was bringing Lupin up just so he could say nasty things about him. Rosalie struggled to keep her cool but did so anyway knowing she was going to have a chat with her Godfather once the lesson came to an end.

The bell finally rang and everyone sighed happily, no one enjoyed that lesson, but before anyway could leave the classroom, Snape held them back.

"You will each write an essay, to be handed in to me on the ways you recognise and kill werewolves. I want two rolls of parchment on the subject, and I want them by Monday morning. It is time somebody took this class in hand."

Everyone once again groaned before being dismissed.

"I'll catch up with you," Rosalie told her friends as she didn't move to leave the classroom. The room cleared quickly and after a moment Snape spoke, seeing her from the corner from his eye.

"How can I help you, Rosalie? If you're going to ask me about the homework I set, you have to do it like everyone els-"

"No, it's not about that." She almost laughed, "I just was wondering something,"

He raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to carry on.

"What do you have against Professor Lupin?"

Snape was taken back by the question but then again he wasn't surprised. "That's none of your business."

"You make it my business when you blab about it during a lesson." She snapped back quickly, leaning herself on a desk as Snape turned his back to her tidying up, he simply ignored her, not having a reasonable response that won't get her to ask any more questions. He picked up his things and walked past the redhead and headed for the door.

"Professor Lupin is a great teacher Severus," she called again, making him stop, "he's far better than the last two we've had that's for sure. You may not like his teaching ways but-"

"But what?" He almost growled turning around and staring down at his Goddaughter.

"But I trust him, I know if I ever need help I can go to him. Everyone thinks that and for once people are actually enjoying Defence Against the Dark Arts, is that not want you want? What you've always wanted?"

Snape did not reply but his look made Rosalie feel like a little girl again, as he spoke he voice was dark, "We may be family now, but it doesn't mean you know everything about me. Don't bring this up again." Before Rosalie could think of a response he was gone and she was left alone in the room, left with her own thoughts and she couldn't help but have more questions, that was not the last of that conversation.