forty - four

Tuesday evening Rosalie sat in the great hall with the rest of the third years studying - though she was mainly there to keep Neville company as Snape stalked up and down the aisle. Everyone's heads were down and concentrated on stuffing their brains with as much information as possible. Rosalie, on the other hand, had other things occupying her mind.

That morning she has practised her animagus change, and without the stress of Remus trying to attack her, she rather enjoyed it and learnt how to control her other form. As she looked in the mirror, she understood why Remus mistook her for her father. She was practically identical to him but with more wolf-like features.

Then her mind wandered to the Mauraders. Rosalie propped her elbow up on the table and leaned her head into the palm of her hand her quill twiddled in between her fingers.

Onyx
Littlefoot
Astral
Shadow
Nightmare
Night
Layl
Twili
Star
Lightfoot
Littlefoot
Ebony
She-Wolf

Rosalie sighed as she reread all the words, she was trying to find a name for her animagus form - she liked the idea of it having a name, gives it more of a character and realness to it all.  Rosalie sighed and rubbed her forehead stressed.  None of the names was bad; just none clicked for her. There was no spark.

"What are you stressing about?" Harry whispered from across the table. "I thought you were prepared for all the exams?"

"Just thinking," she gave a friendly smile to her brother, her hand slightly covering what she had written. She had not told anyone about her animagus, thought it was best to do it after exams - they did not need any distractions. Harry nodded and continued revising.

Rosalie nibbled her bottom lip anxiously as her eyes scanned the hall. Considering how many kids there were, she was surprised by the silence. McGonagall, Lupin and Snape were walking the aisles. Lupin and McGonagall were helping kids where they needed it, while Snape was enjoying telling off the ones who spoke. Of course most of the evening her eyes had been on the DADA teacher, subtly she watched him and a few times their eyes met which made her look away and fight down her reddening cheeks.

Her eyes found him again. He was walking down the aisle she was on, his hands behind his back, looking at the students work as he went by. He stopped for a child when he saw a mistake and Rosalie took the opportunity to admire him - knowing she would not get caught. When he stood straight again, her eyes retreated back to her list of names. She tapped the feather of her quill against the bottom of her chin, trying her best to look like she was thinking when in fact her mind was daydreaming about Remus.

The redhead girl was brought out of her thoughts when a hand turned her piece of parchment. She was about to cover the writing but realised it was the person she was thinking of. Embarrassed, her eyes glanced up to him; he was reading through her 'notes', his eyebrows scrunched together, but after a moment she saw a hint of a smile. His eyes met hers, and she felt her hairs stand on end as her a strange feeling occurred in her lower abdomen.

"May I?" He asked, nodding to the quill that she was holding. Her eyes widened, but she nodded and quickly handed it to him. Remus leaned forward and started to write on her piece of parchment, but due to his body position, she could not see. Nervously her fingers tapped on the bench. A moment later, Remus stood up and returned her quill. "Just an idea." He smirked before walking away.

Rosalie hesitantly looked down, and at the bottom of her list was his handwriting. It was far messier than hers but was easily legible.

Noire

Rosalie smiled. "Noire," she mumbled to herself. Before knowing she was a witch she attended muggle school where one of her lessons were French, it was a subject she had rather enjoyed, and she vividly remembered that Noire in French meant black. Not only did it refer to the colour of her animagus, but was the name of her birth father. Human form she had part of her mother, but as an animagus, she had her father.