Forest Spirit

There is a legend that is passed down by generations in our village. It is a legend is of a demon that lives beyond the tree blossoms, down the river. Our elders call it the forest spirit. It is said to look over the forest downstream and disposes of whoever attempts to damage, or even enter the spirit's territory.

As long as the forest is left undisturbed, one can pass through it in peace. Or so it was said. However, what is said is not quite how it happens. Those from our village who attempted to so have yet to return, even those who were sent in such dangerous journey unwittingly. The latter came to happen once the villagers noticed whenever a young girl ended up being dragged or tossed into the river, floating with the current downstream, droughts or storms that were certain to affect the village never did.

It was later decided – around two hundred years ago – that every season of drought or flood would be near, a young girl would be sacrificed for the demon. Their ages were to be between sixteen to twenty-one years old.

As expected, the girls were never seen or heard of again. I am now eighteen years old. The previous two years I escaped being selected by mere luck, but luck didn't stay by my side for long. During those two years, I lost most of my friends and neighbors. And now, I shall meet them once more.

The sacrifice is to happen tonight. All the women will of age have to wear knee-high white dresses with a lavender flower crown. This was set as someone long ago said that it appeased the forest spirit more.

My only living relative is my aunt. She had no choice when she took me, that lead to hatred towards me. She would often say I was a waste of space, food, and the little money we had. All that while I was only six years old.

One decade later, I was chosen as a candidate for the sacrifice. To much of my surprise, she pleaded with the elders to have me wait a little longer. After that, she openly showed me the affection she lacked to give me while I grew under her roof. I think she realized, once I was chosen, that I was all there was left of her sister.

Now, silent tears rolled down her cheeks as she prepared my dress. I didn't want to go to the ceremony, to walk through the village, up to the elders, and be selected as if I were cattle. Unfortunately, if I didn't, they would burn my house down. Then, they would burn my aunt, and finally me. The village came before the villagers, and it is a great honor to die for it.

I've witnessed it more times than I would've preferred. The screams of anguish as a family's whole life was engulfed by flames. Then, their screams of sheer pain would echo in my ears for days to follow.

Since I do not wish for my aunt to stay in this wretched village if I am chosen or not, I have saved enough coins for the both of us to run away. There is a map with the route to the closest village, and a small pouch under my bed, along with clothes and rations for a couple of days. I told her to take them and run before the sun breaks the horizon if I met my demise.

It was critical for us to not be seen committing such treason. We planned on fleeing the second we were allowed back home. The house looked lifeless. It had been this way for years, but only recently did it sink in.

"Are you sure about this? If they catch us, they will torture us for wanting the destruction of the village," My aunt says, wiping her tears, and then grabbing my hands.

"I'm sure. If this means we will live better lives. And even if it is without me," I kiss her on the cheek and grab my things. "We have two more hours until the ceremony. I'll I have to get ready."

Those two hours felt what an eternity, and when the time came, I hesitated a bit.

If I am chosen, will my aunt be able to flee? Have they caught on to our plan?