Once In Mirkwood, Forever In Erebor

The first time I met him was a few days before everything happened, one hundred seventy years ago.

I was making my way to the great kingdom of Erebor as I was in search of the stories about great kingdoms. This idea came to me after my mother died; she always told me of the world beyond our village—one of them being the mountains of treasure inside the Lonely Mountain.

However, she never got to finish them. It took me two years to prepare for the harsh world I have never been exposed to. My horse, my great companion, is called Hay. A simple name, I know, I was too young when I named him. Not to embarrass myself or attract unnecessary attention, I taught him to come when I whistled for him.

Orcs, for example, are beings I wish never to encounter as it will be certain death and torture. However, due to their loud nature, they are easily avoided if spotted soon enough.

Thankfully, on my way to the Mirkwood forest, I had no such encounters, making it a smooth journey with not much to worry about except food and water. However, I had to worry about my life as I approached the forest. I was told only elves could travel with ease in the woods as there is a path you must follow. If one were to stray from the path, they will lose the way and forever be trapped in the forest.

There is the option of going around, in which it would take days, even weeks to do so. And going through the forest would take a day or two. However, I did not intend to put Hay in harm's way.

I let him go back home as he didn't know the way around, and it would be safer for him. I took all the necessities for the walk, such as food, water, and clothing.

At the entrance of the forest – where the path begins – is a statue of a beautiful elleth, the former Queen of the Woodland Realm—built after her death to show incomers who is the owner of this forest. It was much darker than I imagined it would be. The treetops covered almost all light coming from the sun, selfishly only letting one or another make it to the dead leaves covered floor.

In respect for the forest and the kingdom, I am to trespass; I give the statue a small bow before making my way over the elven path. My facial expression is calm and guarded, but my inner self is scared of getting lost in this maze of a forest. These endless woods may be my demise if I am not too careful.

Many who venture in here must get lost quite often. I hope I'm not one of them.

After a couple of hours into my venture in the dark woods, I began to notice spider webs at the base of the trees all the way up to the highest branches – all this while not venturing off the path.

My steady pace suddenly came to a halt when I noticed something moving inside of a hole in a tree trunk just as I passed by. Steadily making my way, I crouch in front of the hole to inspect it closer. My finding is anything but surprising.

I am never one to judge others by the cover of their books. Even the most frightening, abhorrent creatures in the Middle Earth can have the warmest of hearts. The little critter I find is a baby of the giant spiders. Ordinary folk would've run away or killed the small thing, yet I coo in adoration.

"Everything is fine, little one, I'm not going to hurt you," I speak softly as not to scare it any further. As a natural instinct of self-defense, the spiderling raises its front paws as a warning not to get any closer. I couldn't help but notice one of its right legs was injured. It curled closer to the spider's body and made no movements. "It's fine; I'm only going to aid you."

I rose my hands to the side of my hand and stayed still, showing the defenseless creature I meant no harm. After a long while, it lowered its paws and took small steps forward. I gently grabbed it and placed it on my lap as I took a turn to sit down. Using one of my spare clothes, I ripped a small strip and carefully wrapped around the wound on the leg.