Beneath the Heavens (XXIII)

Rubbing his puffed up eyes from excessively crying, Fu Yemu looked around and suddenly jumped up. They were no longer in his father's study but in their own room! Yesterday, after crying so much, both he and Fu Aozi fell asleep due to exhaustion there. During that time, someone must've transported them back to his room, when they returned from the fierce battle. Now the sun was already at its highest position in the sky; they had slept until the afternoon of the next day! With his actions, a loud bang was heard and the sounds of sobbing echoed after.

Fu Aozi sniveled pathetically as he rubbed the protruding lump on his head, "Waaah! Older brother. Wuuuu~ It hurts!"

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he bent down and wrestled Fu Aozi into his arms. Lightly tapping the painful looking lump, Fu Yemu apologized, "Sorry, Zizi. Older brother was too excited suddenly and let you fall onto the floor."

Puckering his lips, Fu Aozi resentfully pinched Fu Yemu's cheek, "Hmph! I don't like you anymore!"

His face turned ugly at his younger brother's words. He doesn't have the extra time to worry about his brother right now, there were more important things that occupied his worries. He tried to appease the angry ball of meat in front of him, but to his bitter disappointment, they were greatly upset and didn't forgive him.

Sighing, Fu Yemu gave up trying to pacify Fu Aozi and placed him down. "I'm going to find father, you cannot leave the room, do you hear me?"

Fu Aozi was still angry but his attention was shifted at their words. He reluctantly opened his mouth, "Take me too."

Fu Yemu shook his head, "No, you stay here."

Feeling that he was looked down upon, Fu Aozi stomped his feet and threw a tantrum, "No, I won't stay here! Take me with you, older brother!"

Feeling his patience running thin, Fu Yemu's tone plummeted and turned exceedingly cold, "You don't have a say in this. Stay here and be good, or I won't save any treats for you in the future. I'll also tell mom that you were being disobedient and ran off after her on your own."

Sticking out his tongue, Fu Aozi ceased his yapping and sat down on the bed silently. He shifted and faced the wall, refusing to look at his older brother's figure.

Once Fu Yemu saw that he wasn't being overly stubborn today, he let out a breath of relief and walked off. Stepping out of his courtyard, he went and found a disciple to find the whereabouts of his father. Seeing the figure stagger, he zipped over like a bolt of lightning and grabbed onto the sleeve of their shirt, "Senior apprentice-brother, do you know where my father is?"

The young man was startled by being suddenly pulled and yelped, "Ahh!"

As soon as he recognized who it was that had scared him, his expression changed within a blink of an eye. He was initially very upset that they had disturbed his thoughts making his face red, but the vibrant colour visibly drained as he looked at Fu Yemu with pity showing. The young man gently patted his shoulder, "Your father is currently busy discussing with the other sect leaders in the main hall. You can come find him later, junior apprentice-brother."

Nodding his head, Fu Yemu also agreed with his senior apprentice-brother. Looking back up, he asked, "Have you seen my mother?"

The young disciple smiled wryly and shook his head, "No."

Feeling that there was something off about their character and how they were so fidgety when he asked about his mother, Fu Yemu touched his chin. "Did something happen to her?"

Scratching his head, the young disciple felt it was difficult to answer his question and stayed silent, trying to think of a way to phrase his wordings correctly. This alerted Fu Yemu and he quickly dashed off.

He ran towards the direction of the infirmary, something must've happened to his mother. Along the way he noticed the similar gazes falling upon his body. He gritted his teeth and burst into the room where the injured were held. Sweeping his eyes over the wounded, Fu Yemu breathed deeply. He took a couple of steps forward to see the entire place, and then he stopped. Disquietude evidently showed on his face, his fists were tightly bound together as he twisted around and ran out of the room.

The rims of his eyes were red as he took off. He was unsure of where he was going, he couldn't care where he would end up. His thoughts were completely focused on denying the possibility of what had happened. He couldn't accept it... No, it would be more truthful saying that he wasn't able to. How could he? How would he be able to? It all seem like one big illusion that he was seeing and hearing, it had to be. He had just spoken to them yesterday, how was it that they will no longer be able to walk by his side?

Tripping over his own feet, Fu Yemu's body crashed onto the ground. He did not get up, choosing to embrace the o coolness of the concrete floor as wet spots appeared on the ground beneath his face.

Huffing, he didn't bother to wipe the tear stains on his face and trudged his feet with very little will power. His existence was no different than that of a zombie, a feeling of exhaustion seeped out of his bones. He stood outside of the courtyard, his eyes void of any vitality.

Taking a step forward, he was stopped by the someone's hand. "Sect leader has prohibited anyone from entering."

Fu Yemu cocked his head to the side and glared, "He's my father."

The disciple remained adamant, "I'm sorry, but Sect Leader Fu has restricted everyone; even you."

Gnashing his teeth, Fu Yemu didn't stir up any further unnecessary argument and walked away. His eyes glinting with anger. He stopped walking when he was far away enough not to alert them and eyed his father's courtyard. He never had the intention to leave; he must meet with his father.