XVI

Knocking twice on the steel door, Helen stepped back awaiting for it to be opened

Knocking twice on the steel door, Helen stepped back awaiting for it to be opened. It felt like hours before the door moved, but when it did, her frown instantly turned to a smile.

There he stood, the person she'd been yearning to see for some time now. He looked good, rejuvenated even, and that made her happy.

"Come in." Stepping aside, his eyes followed Helen's every move as she made herself comfortable in the plush sofa.

"Did you find out what I asked?"

Looking at the person before her, Helen sighed. A part of her felt bad that she was doing this, but another part of her knew she had to, so she could live the happily ever after she always dreamed of.

Reaching in her purse, she slid the manila folder in front of her, and smiled.

"I always deliver."

A grin broke out on the man's face, revealing his crooked smile as he read through the folder's contents.

"And you sure I won't be receiving no surprises?"

Shaking her curls, she replied, "No, she's on a strict schedule; work from 9-5, home, and to her boyfriend. Catch her from 5:30 to 7, and you won't have any pop ups, I promise. Now where are my babies?"

After a while of analyzing the woman, he spoke.

"Jay!" Hearing his deep baritone voice shout, made Helen jump, but she quickly recovered when she saw a man walk out holding her two children.

"Oh my babies!" Embracing the two, Helen gleed.

"Mommy's so glad to see you guys, oh we can finally go ho-

Her elation was short lived, when she was interrupted by him.

"Not so fast Helen, the kids stay with me until I get what I want." His look was menacing, making Helen want to coward away.

"Wha-at I don't understand, you told me I could have them once I gave you the information. I did my part!"

By now the twins sat in confusion as they watched their mother in tears pleading to the man.