XVII

Silence was what met Hennessy when she opened her apartment door

A very eerie silence.

A part of her was angry, the other part confused since she had been summoned to handle something she'd believed was so urgent.

Hennessy sighed in frustration before trotting to her room. Once again, her ears were consumed with nothingness.

The quietude of her home making her feel more uncomfortable than she already did with Helen under her roof.

Almost as if they could read her mind, she heard a voice.

"It's nice to see you again babygirl."

Something about that voice, left a sinister aura in the room, almost immediately making Hennessy freeze. Her back was turned to the intruder, but she knew that voice from a mile away.

The same voice that whispered her to sleep some nights, the same voice that she'd dreaded ever hearing again.

The same voice that belonged to the person Hennessy was convinced Terror put an end to.

Yet here he was in the flesh, and in her home with the same sloppy smirk he seemed to have never wiped off his face.

Hennessy couldn't blink, move or respond. She was just there, existing, but not living.

"Well aren't you glad to see me?"

His words were taunting, tormenting even.

She could feel his body drawing closer to hers, so close that when she had finally turned around, they were chest to chest.

In her eyes, he looked no different. He was still the same drunken bitch who'd stripped her of something so precious.

"It seems as though, cat-- got your tongue sweet heart." With each word, she could feel herself getting weaker and weaker.

She wanted to say something, scream and tell him to get the fuck out, but she was incapable of doing so.

"Y--ou ne--ed to leave."