♚〡ONE

He couldn't breathe.

He hasn't been able to since age one-hundred-twenty. Every day was a constant battle to reel in the beast from within. He could feel the strings of his resolve loosening minute-by-minute.

When he turned three-hundred, he had given up. He stopped traveling the world to seek the one special girl to calm the raging storm that dwelled inside. Adlaric believed with every fiber of his soul that she never truly existed. He searched for hundreds of years, never finding his soulmate.

Eventually, any control he had would become nonexistent and the beast within would take complete control. Adlaric refused to become a complete animal.

"My King," an Elder greeted, walking into the boardroom. He was followed by many other wolves in human form, all of whom sat in front of him around the rectangular table. Each Elder took the time to greet their King. The intent for this meeting, while not explicitly confirmed, coated the room in a thick blanket of apprehension. This discussion was far overdue, and it was time for Adlaric to address the issues that plagued his realm.

It seemed ironic to him; the part of himself that gave him strength was now weakening him.

"Good afternoon, Elders," the King greeted. Adlaric was a judicious leader. He didn't punish without remorse. He didn't kill without trial. He didn't favor those who could help him most. He ruled with an iron but justified fist. Everyone respected him not only because of his brutal strength but also because of his uplifting sympathy and benevolence. Truly, the King loved his Kingdom. He loved it more than he loved himself. "I believe you are all aware of the proceedings for today, yes?"

Each Elder sadly nodded. They loved their King, but they all knew at some point because he had not found his mate, King Adlaric would have to be executed. Their Alpha did not deserve to live in agony, and their Kingdom did not deserve to be ruled by it. Adlaric's jaw clicked tightly, his hand balled on the armchair. His dark and unruly hair was held back by his bronze crown that sat upon his head.

"When will it be done?"

Adlaric's dark eyes snapped to the woman who had spoken, and with a strong voice, he replied, "The next full moon."

"That's January 20th, my Liege, that's in three days," the same woman replied, shock lacing her words. Adlaric nodded. Unlike the council, he was certain of his prophecy and his duty as Alpha. The Elders began to speak over each other, begging for more time. Each was worried about the events that would follow their King's death. Who would rule? Where would he be buried (mates were buried together)? Why was he not given a mate?

Adlaric let them uproar over the news he just released. His hand was now tightly gripping the glass in front of him. He brought the cup to his lips and savored the crisp taste of the water. Would he miss something so simple? Would he be in a place where he could have access to such a simple pleasure? Where exactly would he go? Mates went to the afterworld, but him? He was alone. He would go on this journey by himself. He showed no emotion on the outside. It was his job to be strong- to constantly work, to care, to be diligent, to live as a King and Alpha should. Internally, he wondered what he had done to deserve such a curse. He tried to live his life as morally as he could, but he must have failed; Selene still had not granted him a mate.

He had dreams too. He dreamed of waking up next to the woman- or man -of his dreams. He dreamed about protecting his mate with every fiber of his being. He dreamed of being loved as he would love them. He dreamed of having children and singing them to sleep at night. He dreamed of their eyes. He dreamed of being lifted when he felt like he was crashing. He dreamed of having someone to share the workload with. He dreamed of living, and then dying, with his mate in his arms, whispering sweet nothings in their ear. His dreams were nothing now. He would be nothing. He would leave no heirs. He would leave no family. He would leave as he was born; in a chaotic, mess-filled, rage.

"Silence," Adlaric ordered. Immediately, the room went quiet, and all eyes were on him once again. People followed the example he gave them; he respected you, you respected him. "Beta Dimitri will become interim Alpha until he finds his mate and has a pup. The child will be brought up as a child of Alpha blood. I will get my affairs in order. I will leave no stress for you."

"Even in death you still look after us," an elder said, a sad, nostalgic smile gracing his lips. Adlaric gave a closed-lipped smile in return.

"My wolves are what I will leave."

"Alpha, perhaps you could take another trip..."

"Elder, I have traveled as far as Antarctica to find my mate. I have visited and revisited each country more times than I can count. I assure you, no one has tried harder than I have. It seems likely now that they never existed or," the words felt tight in his throat. The mere thought was enough to make him lose his tight leash on his wolf. "or they have died."

The council went silent again. The room was filled with a thick shade of solemness. Adlaric stood up, buttoned his inside coat, and cleared his throat. "Please make yourself at home. If you will excuse me." With haste, the lonely Alpha made his way to the double oak doors and pulled them open before exiting. He was greeted by his dark-skinned Beta.

"Dimitri," Adlaric greeted, his pace never wavering. Beta Dimitri, swiftly and easily, matched the pace of his Alpha. Dimitri's hands locked behind himself in a military fashion as he followed his King through the halls of the castle. Silently, they marched to Adlaric's office. When they came to the mahogany doors, Dimitri pulled them open for his Alpha. Adlaric responded with a gruff 'thank you.'

"The Elders are insisting on throwing one final ball," Dimitri said, sitting on the grey couch. His ankle was now resting on his other knee with his hand clasped around his ankle. Adlaric, usually, wouldn't mind throwing a get-together, but lately, all he wanted was to sleep and forget about his penetrating reality. For once, Adlaric wanted to care more for himself; he wanted to be happy. Happiness wasn't in his fate, apparently. Stiffly, the Alpha male sat down behind his desk. "I don't think that is best," Adlaric said. His one finger quickly turned into a claw so that he could rip open the envelope on his desk.

"Adlaric, everyone wishes to see their Alpha one last time. Come on, let's party like we used to," Dimitri said with a teasing smirk. In a brief moment, a flashback of their younger days appeared in their minds, the two men brawling and drunkenly singing as they galavanted around the castle.

Adlaric looked up at his longtime best friend. He would miss Dimitri dearly, almost as much as Dimitri would miss Adlaric. Dimitri knew that he did not have Alpha blood. The title of Alpha would weigh heavily upon him. He was not meant to be Alpha, and his children were meant to be Betas. It felt wrong to fuck up fate.

Adlaric, for the first time in a long time, smiled with a subtle nod. "One last time then," he said, standing up to grab two glasses. Dimitri stood up and made his way to the front of the desk as Adlaric poured brandy into each glass. The resounding click in the room was the catalyst for each man bringing the glass to their lips and swallowing the liquid. Once the glass was empty, Dimitri spoke. "The ball will be in two days."

"You had already planned it, hadn't you?" The smirk on his Alpha's face was the only sign that gave away he was in fact, not angry at Dimitri for already beginning the party planning.

"Oh, just the guest list, alcohol list, catering, and whatnot." Dimitri smiled as he went to the door. For a brief moment, he turned around. Adlaric looked up after hearing the swoosh of wind.

"You didn't deserve all the shit life gave you. You deserved a mate. I'm sure she was every bit as brilliant and beautiful as you had imagined; I'm sure she would have been very happy with you."