♚〡NINETEEN

Adlaric sent Dimitri to interview the man who had crashed into Eve's car.

Both royals assumed that the driver lost control and accidentally ran into Evangeline. Adalric, while furious at the driver's carelessness, knew that humans were prone to accidents in poor weather.

Still, precautions had to be taken. Dimitri needed to get the other man's insurance, even though Adlaric could fully cover the cost. Living in a human world meant they had to act like humans. A person getting hit and then not following up was weird in human world.

Dimitri hated hospitals. His hyper senses couldn't ignore the wretched stench of blood or bleach that seemed to fill every room. He had lived through war and pain, but that didn't mean the sobs of someone who had lost their loved one didn't affect him. He learned, over the years, to focus on one sound, one scent, one something, but he couldn't ignore that static sound of the MRI down the hall.

Hospitals were nothing but an annoyance and he would be glad to be leaving.

The Beta could smell the submissiveness of the nurse behind the desk. As soon as she had seen him, she averted her eyes.

"Yesterday, a man named Eric Samston was brought in after a car accident on Romana Road. I'm just here to collect his insurance to pay for the damages done to my car."

The nurse had protocol to follow. She couldn't divulge any information about another patient, but she could look to see if that patient would be willing to talk to the man in front of her. When her search came up empty, she furrowed her eyebrows and looked up at Dimitri.

"Sir, there is no man by that name in our system."

Dimitri leaned forward. "Are you sure?"

"Positive, sir."

"My wife and I brought him here yesterday. I am sure he is here somewhere."

The nurse became frazzled and gulped slightly. "One man was brought in after an accident, but he checked himself out almost immediately. We didn't take a name or number."

"He was badly injured. No one thought to admit him?" Dimitri was getting annoyed now. He knew they had brought that man here. The hospital was mistaken and this nurse was not helping him.

The nurse shook her head and stood up. "That man was hardly harmed. I assure you that if he was beaten up, we would have insisted he stayed, but when we checked on him, he was completely fine. He left almost immediately after. I can call the police if you need to talk to them about damages done to your car, if you'd like."

If they were talking about the same man, it meant Eric was not human. He was wolf and he healed rapidly. But if he was wolf, Dimitri and Adalric would have smelled his scent.

Something was off and it unsettled Dimitri.

The hospital was open 24/7, but every 12 hours they would have a change of staff. Around 12 in the morning, the nurse who had helped Dimitri was packing to leave. When she went back to retrieve her things, Dimitri slipped behind the nurses station and prodded around on her computer. Surely enough, the name he had gotten from the man's wallet was not in the database. In fact, there were no crash victims anywhere.

It was as if the man never existed and the crash never happened.

Dimitri held back a growl as he heard the nurse return. With his agility and speed he maneuvered himself back into the security room. He rolled his eyes at the sleeping security guard. Stealthily, he went to one of the large screens and replayed the security footage from the night before.