The Date

Junhui picked him up at seven like he said he would. Wonwoo thought he would be overdressed but Junhui was wearing a white button-up shirt and tight black pants so he felt more comfortable from the second he saw him. Junhui's hair was styled slightly upwards and exposed part of his forehead which looked really really good.

Junhui drove a car which name Wonwoo didn't know but it didn't look either cheap or expensive. Just a normal car you see on the street every day. Wonwoo didn't even know why that stood out to him that much but he really liked Junhui's car. It fits with the image Wonwoo got from Junhui. 

Junhui was both a quiet and loud person. While they drove to the restaurant he was mostly silent asking Wonwoo how his day was and listening while Wonwoo talks about that stupid guy that had spilt coffee on him and what he had cooked for lunch. On the other hand, he was loud and gesticulating wildly while telling stories when Wonwoo asked questions back. Wonwoo enjoyed this balance they had when they talked. They were equal. Wonwoo can't help but think back to his conversations with Mingyu. He shakes his head and forbids himself to think of his ex while he was on a date with this wonderful man.

The restaurant Junhui took him to was Italian. It was quite small but it made you feel comfortable and Wonwoo liked it. They had a table next to a window from which they could see the park. It was slowly getting dark outside so the small warm restaurant made you feel warm even though it was quite cold outside.

"I've never eaten Italian before so you gotta help me", Wonwoo says while he looks at the menu.

"Well, if you want to play safe you should take the Carbonara. The Risotto is good too but not something for everyone."

"You eat here often?" Wonwoo reads through the description of the meals Junhui just told him and decided he would definitely play safe.

"The first time I went here was with my parents to their wedding anniversary. After that, I went here with friends a few times because the food is just great. I thought it might be a good place for a date because it has this ambience that no other place I know has", Junhui explains. 

"It's great here."

When the waiter came Wonwoo decided on the Carbonara while Junhui chose a dish Wonwoo didn't know. To that Junhui ordered wine for them. He really knew this place. The waiter knew what he wanted when he said he wanted the wine he always took.

"So, tell me more about that flatmate that stole your phone."

"Well, Minghao and I, we know each other since our childhood and when we finished school, we moved in together because it was cheaper and we go to the same dance school. He's a good flatmate too, you know? Does his own laundry, cleans the flat sometimes when I don't have time to do so. Just a good roommate. How about...shit I forgot his name...Seongcheol? How about him? Is he a good flatmate?"

Wonwoo thinks for a while. The answer was easy. Seongcheol was the perfect flatmate. Wonwoo just wanted to find a right way to explain it.

"Seongcheol is basically is my older brother. We grew up together. We were a kind of trio. Him, his little brother and me. We did everything together and stayed friends even after we all went out own ways. Seongcheol works in an elementary school and he's just one of the kindest people I know. And after my breakup with Mingyu he took me in and had to watch dramas with me and eat a ton of ice cream. He's the best."

"He sounds like a good friend. Everyone needs someone like that in their life", Junhui says and Wonwoo agrees with him. He's not sure what would have been if he didn't have Seongcheol.

"Did you notice that we jumped all the typical first date question?"

"Well, didn't we do that at the club back then?", Wonwoo wonders.

"But we can go over that again. Your favourite song right now?"

"I guess...that new Winner song, Ah yeah is the title I think. That's quite cool. Sad lyrics with a song that feels like summer. Weird combination but it's good", Junhui answers after a while.

"Yours?"

"Hmm... Billie Eilish Watch. That song just keeps coming back to be my favourite. Like, I listen to it on repeat for a while, then not at all for a few weeks and then I find it again and I fall in love with that song all over again. But anyways. Your favourite colour."

"Well, Wonwoo, there's the thing-"

"You don't have a favourite colour. I remember that now", Wonwoo interrupts him.

"And I remember that yours was black and we argued for twenty minutes if black was a real colour or not."

"We came to the conclusion it indeed was", Wonwoo notes.

"I didn't think you'd remember that much about me", he admits after w moment of silence.

Junhui laughs and shakes his head making Wonwoo confused. Junhui takes a sip from his wine before he says something.

"How could I forget you. You are such a special person Wonwoo. Talking to you and spending time with you makes hours feel like minutes and I don't want to go because it's not only so much fun with you but you understand me a way not a lot of people do. They see a dancer in me that works half time in a café. But you see me. You see the person I'm deep down inside."

Wonwoo is taken aback by the sudden confession of Junhui. Never has someone told Wonwoo they felt like that about him. Wonwoo felt like a bypasser in most people's lifes. He was no one important and definitely wasn't someone worth spending their time on. But when Junhui says those things like that he feels like maybe he is. Maybe he can be a special person to someone and not just a bypasser.

"Thank you, Junhui. I...No one says those things about me. I think I needed to hear that."

Wonwoo eyes glisten with tears and he takes a few deep breaths to calm down. Junhui reaches over the table and takes his hand rubbing soothing circles over his skin with his thumb.

"After tonight, Wonwoo, I wanna see you again. You can choose what we'll do but please, Wonwoo, let me see you again."

Wonwoo nods and takes his hand that Junhui was still holding towards his mouth and places a soft kiss on top of Junhui's hand.

"I want to see you again too."

While they ate, they only exchanged a few words here and there. Wonwoo was glad to have a moment to think to sort out his thoughts. He already knew that he really liked Junhui and after today he could start to imagine a relationship with Junhui. Maybe he wasn't in love yet but he was definitely but slowly falling for Junhui.

Junhui drove him home after dinner and a long conversation. Even though Wonwoo had been so panicked about the date before, he could now say that he liked the way Junhui and he were able to spend time together.

"I'll text you?", Junhui asks saying goodbye to Wonwoo on his doorsteps.

Wonwoo takes up all his courage and tiptoes to kiss Junhui's soft lips. It was a quick kiss. Just a tiny peck but it still said a lot.

"Not if I text you first."

Wonwoo turns around and unlocks the door before looking back once more to see Junhui standing there with his mouth hanging open. Maybe the kiss was too much? Wonwoo decides there was no time for regret and runs up the stairs to his flat.