Boyfriends

So now they're boyfriends. Wonwoo needs some time to adjust to the new label they put on their relationship and he swears he's still joy completely used to it.

Junhui seems to just accept it. He likes to introduce Wonwoo as his boyfriend to people when they meet new people and in his head, he thought about finally introducing Wonwoo to his parents.

He brought that thought up to Wonwoo once. Wonwoo panicked and quickly found excuse after excuse why he couldn't meet Junhui's parents until he finally admitted that he was just scared. Putting the label 'boyfriends' on them was already a big step for him but meeting Junhui's parents was on a whole new level.

And Junhui needed a while to understand that. He loved Wonwoo and he knew that Wonwoo was still unsure how to express his feelings but why was he so against meeting Junhui's parents? Junhui saw it as something simple that any couple would do after a while. And he himself would be happy to meet Wonwoo' parents. So why was it such a problem?

"Because I don't know what to do if they don't like me", Wonwoo finally admits after another week of Junhui's nagging.

And then it hits Junhui: Wonwoo was thinking back to meeting Mingyu's parents and that probably didn't go well. Since their argument that had lead to the label boyfriends on their relationship, he was sure that Wonwoo stopped thinking about Mingyu. Before Wonwoo had mentioned Mingyu once or twice. He had never held it a secret to Junhui because he thought that would be unfair. He wanted to be open about his feelings and he knew that he needed to be for this relationship to work out.

But for some reason, he didn't want to tell Junhui about his experience when meeting his boyfriend's parents. It made Junhui anxious. Not only because it meant that Wonwoo still was thinking about Mingyu sometimes but also because it meant that Wonwoo was still a hell lot unsure about his feelings. Junhui wanted to fight for this relationship. He loved Wonwoo like he hadn't loved anyone in a long while and he certainly did not want to lose him. But knowing how much the break up from Mingyu really affected Wonwoo - so much that Wonwoo still had to do with it - just hurt Junhui.

For a while, he had felt like he was just there to help Wonwoo move on but he'd learned that Wonwoo wasn't such a person. Wonwoo just loved too hard. Wonwoo had loved Mingyu so wholehearted and Junhui knew that because Wonwoo was still affected by the break-up. So Junhui also concluded that Wonwoo wouldn't let a relationship last that was built on halfhearted feelings. Junhui knew that Wonwoo loved him too. Wonwoo never said it out loud but he lets Junhui feel his love.

Sometimes when Junhui has a night shift he'd be at Junhui's apartment with a prepared meal so Junhui wouldn't go to sleep without eating something (Wonwoo noticed he did that when he was too tired). Wonwoo would plan dates that just screamed "I love you!" and Junhui never needed more than just Wonwoo in his arms and Wonwoo's sleepy voice before the fell asleep in each other's arms to be sure that Wonwoo was just afraid to say it out loud but was definitely feeling the same as himself.

"His parents hated me", Wonwoo whispers one evening when they had just laid down. Junhui had worked late but Wonwoo said he'd be at Junhui's apartment. Seongcheol was visiting his parents over the weekend and Wonwoo hated being home alone.

Junhui tightens his arms around Wonwoo presses a kiss on top of his head.

"It's okay, I understand", he whispers back. He gives Wonwoo the chance to stop whenever he wants to because if Wonwoo only tells him because he feels that he needs to it's not right.

"They weren't against Mingyu being gay or anything. They just hated me as a person. They thought Mingyu deserved better and always tried to get Mingyu to break up with me. Back then I was impressed that Mingyu never listened to his parents and stayed with me. It made me think that it would last forever even more."

Junhui knew that something like this would come. Of course, he could not predict how his parents would react to Wonwoo but he knew they would never urge him to break up with someone. He had had relationships with people that his parents did not like but they tried their best to get along with them because they knew that it wasn't their saying who Junhui should love.

"You know, you don't have to meet my parents if you really don't want to but I know they would never say something like this about the person I love, so please, just think about it. It would mean a lot to me if you'd meet them and they are here in Korea next month."

Wonwoo knew that. Junhui's parents lived in China and only visited Junhui here in Korea once a year, so if Wonwoo said no to meeting them next month it would take a year until he had another chance (if Junhui and he wouldn't fly over to China).

"I'll think about it", he whispers into the silence that had followed Junhui's words.

"Thank you."

Wonwoo falls asleep in Junhui's arms that night. His thoughts twirled around Junhui's parents, Mingyu's parents and his own. Because if he met Junhui's parents he'd want Junhui to meet his parents too. Maybe the thoughts followed him into his dreams, he's not sure. But he knows for sure that he will meet Junhui's parents next week.