Hangover

Sal's POV

     I woke up with a massive headache, and sadly I was sober. I groaned a little, snuggling closer to the heat source that was beside me in this bed.
     Wait, this is too big to be Gizmo... I peeled my eyes open, looking up to who I was sharing a bed with.
     Stubble, big nose, shit! It's Larry.
     I mean, we have shared a bed countless other times, it's just never this closely.
I tried to play it cool, but my brain immediately went to so many worse case scenarios.
He could jump up and call me a fag before leaving. He could hate me for having any type of feelings towards him that aren't platonic, and he could just drop me. I could lose him and all these people that I hold dear.
Larry stirred in his sleep. I looked up, meeting his dark brown eyes as he woke up.
He smiled lopsidedly. "Morning lil dude, how're ya feeling?" He asked, his voice gruff from sleep.
I groaned, burying my face in his chest again. "Like shit. Hey, I've got a question," I said, my voice muffled in his chest.
It's stupid that he'd hate me for being bisexual. He's pan after all. Yet, it's always easier to expect the worst, isn't it?
"Shoot," he said, his fingers tangling themselves in my hair.
"Well two actually. Where are we, and did I try anything with anyone last night?" I asked, dreading an answer.
When I get drunk, I have a tendency to get really slutty or really competitive. I will challenge you to a fight or a dance off, depending on how drunk me is feeling.
Larry laughed, the noise coming from his chest. "We're at Todd and Neil's first of all. Second, you didn't try anything, you did say that you knew my secret, however," he said, his voice light.
I snorted. "Oh yeah? And what was it that I knew," I asked.
"That I liked dudes too. You seemed to have a revelation there last night," he said, laughing again.
I sighed, pulling back to meet his eyes. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, I just-" I cut myself off as I felt the panic rise in my throat again.
Larry sat up, meeting my eyes. "What's wrong?" He asked, his voice soft.
I sat up too, looking away and shaking my head. He sighed. "Dude, you know you can talk to me. I'm always here for you," he said, putting a hand on my knee.
I started shaking, and my throat started closing. My eyes burned and I knew what was going to happen.
Tears started to flow down my scared cheeks and my chest started to heave. I felt like I couldn't catch a breath and I clutched my shirt over my chest.
"Whoa. Hey, its okay," Larry said gently, putting his hands over mine and bringing them down to my chest.
I still couldn't catch my breath and I felt horrible. Everything was closing in, no hope. No choice.
I felt something warm envelope me. I clutched Larry as he hugged me close. I knotted my hands in his Sanity Falls shirt as my body was wracked with sobs.
"I- I don't w-wan-wanna..." I swallowed hard, struggling to get my breathing under control. "Am I a- a bad p-per-person?" I asked, my face buried in Larry's chest.
"What? Of course not dude. You're one of the most kind hearted people I know. What's brought that up?" Larry asked, his hand rubbing circles on my back.
I started to be able to breath more evenly now. Larry has seen me panic like this a few other times, and he now knows how to deal with them.
Poor guy for having to do this though. It can't be fun to comfort me as I am hysterical.
"The g-ghosts, or wh-whatever keeps sh-showing up in my dreams," I said, still shaking hard.
Larry held me tighter. "Well they're dead, how good could their judgement be?" I snorted. "But in all seriousness dude, you are an amazing person, and getting blackout drunk after a nightmare isn't how to deal with it," he said gently.
"How'd-"
"How'd I know it was a nightmare that made you get drunk last night? It doesn't take a rocket scientist Sal, especially given how upset you are about them," he said, interrupting me.
"W-well it wasn't re-really a dream. I was k-kinda awake. Like sl-sleep paralysis I th-think," I stuttered.
"Wait, they're actually materializing to bother you now?" Larry asked, seemingly aghast.
I nodded. "I didn't have a nightmare last night though. I d-don't know if that wa-was because of the alcohol or b-being here," I said softly.
"I'm going to choose to believe that it's being here. Will you please stay here tonight. You can have my bed and I'll take the couch if you want, just please don't go back to those apartments," Larry pleaded, his hand playing with my hair.
     I nodded. "I won't. I'll give it a chance," I said, my voice shaking slightly.
     Larry let out a shaky breath. "Alright, good," he said quietly.
     There was a knock at the door. Larry and I jumped apart and he jumped up. "One sec," he called as he tossed me my mask.
     I clipped it on, careful to not clip in my hair. Larry answered the door of his room.
     Ash stood in the doorway, her hair was messy and she still wore her pyjamas. "Oh, sorry Larry I heard two voices and got confused. When'd you get here Sal?" She asked, leaning against the doorframe.
     "Last night at like two in the morning," I said meekly.
     "I had to save him from boredom," Larry offered.
      I'm glad he didn't tell Ash about my slip up last night. I don't drink, it's just I really wasn't thinking right last night when I woke up.
     Ash laughed, "well I don't believe it was boredom, but who am I to judge," she said, shrugging and smiling wryly.
I moved to get up and saw that I was wearing one of Larry's sweaters and I only had my boxers on.
They were the ones that Larry got me for my birthday one year as a joke. They are black with weed leaves on them. They glow in the dark.
Larry must have seen my surprise, and he apologized with his eyes.
"Guys, I know it wasn't boredom. What happened?" Ash asked, her voice softening.
I sighed. "I had a horrible nightmare and against my better judgement, I got piss drunk," I said, standing on wobbly feet.
Larry grabbed me as I almost fell. "Careful dude. You are the most clumsy guy I've ever met," he mumbled, making sure I was standing before stepping back.
"Oh, Sal are you okay?" Ash asked, her eyes gentle.
I nodded, looking down and shoving my hands in the pocket of the sweater I'm wearing. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just don't wanna think about it and just do nothing today," I mumbled, shifting from foot to foot.
Larry chuckled. "I like that plan. How much do you remember from last night lil dude?" He asked, Ash coming in and sitting on a bean bag.
Larry and I sat back on his bed. I leaned against Larry a little bit. "I remember almost falling out of the Tank, and pestering you the whole time, Larry," I laughed a little. "I also remember you playing guitar and did Neil talk to us when we got in?" I asked.
Larry looked a little relieved for some reason. Could it be that I didn't mention that I pestered him for being pan last night? Or that I didn't mention that I remember that he said he had a crush on a guy?
I'm gonna see if I can gather more information before I make any assumptions on who it is. I'm gonna be like a detective, but a love detective.
He might not like me, but I can at least make sure that his judgement is good. And maybe I can help him? I want him to be happy, even if that's not with me.
     Ash laughed. "You didn't try to fight anyone?" She asked through her giggles.
     I laughed a little. "No, I didn't really have anyone to fight I suppose," I said.
"You always could have fought me, I'm surprised through. You were pretty easily placated with some music," Larry joked.
I laughed and Ash snorted. "Big word there Lar, are you alright?" She asked, a devilish grin on her face.
A pillow flew from behind me and hit Ash in the face with a soft thwump. I looked back to Larry, who wheezed upon seeing disgruntled Ash, then started howling with laughter.
"Oh real funny!" Ash exclaimed as she grabbed the pillow and jumped up.
"Oh shit!" Larry wheezed as he grabbed another pillow and jumped up as well.
Ash dodged Larry's first swing, then she hit him in the stomach. He let out a heavy breath, then started laughing breathlessly as he swung at Ash again.
They were both laughing, Larry wheezing more, but still laughing.
I sat back, smiling and laughing a little as I watched the brutal pillow fight in front of me.
This is the happiest I've seen Larry in a while. I was worried about him before the incident because he was getting worse with his depression. He stopped painting and wasn't interested in guitar much anymore.
I'm glad he's here with Neil and Todd. It's a good place for him to be, away from Addison but not too far from familiarity.
I felt my heart flutter at the sound of his laugh and my face burn at the sight of his smile. I hate to admit it, but I have fallen hard.
He's my closest friend and I don't want to mess that up, but god do I want to kiss his stupid face.
A pillow flew and hit my face while I was distracted by my thoughts. I snapped from my head and whipped off my mask. "Who wants to go?" I asked, grabbing the pillow that hit me.
"Oh shit!" Larry exclaimed between his laughter. He held Ash in front of him as he laughed.
Ash screamed a little then started laughing. "No! Don't you dare Sally!" She said between her laughter.
I nodded to her and she dropped down. I threw the pillow right after and hit Larry in the chest.
He clutched his chest, falling to the ground with a thump. "I've been shot! The betrayal! My own best friends!" He exclaimed as he lay dramatically on the floor.
I was gasping for breath from laughing and Ash was laughing breathlessly. "I'm sorry Lar, but it was a dirty move to use Ash as a human shield," I said.
Larry feigned hurt. "And now you turn on me? Woe is me!" He cried, putting his arm over his eyes before we all burst out into another fit of laughter.
There was a thump and a groan. We all looked up to see a disgruntled Todd in the doorway. His glasses were crooked and his red hair a mess. He wore and oversized shirt and a scowl.
"What the fuck is going on in here? We heard thumping and what sounded like a scream? We thought someone was getting murdered. Oh hey Sal," he said, blinking at me. He had just seen me here.
"Morning Todd," I said breathlessly, a wide smile still on my face.
Larry gave Todd a lopsided smile. "Yeah, mornin Todd. Ya regretting letting us stay yet?" Larry joked, still on the floor.
Todd sighed and smiled. "Not at all. Continue with whatever you hooligans were up to," he said with a wave as he walked back to his room.
     I flopped back down onto Larry's bed. "Oh fuuuck, I shouldn't have done that. Oh I feel so sick," I groaned, curling up into a ball.
     I felt the bed sink near me. I felt a warm hand start to rub my back. "Do you wanna go lay on the couch so you can watch a movie or something?" Larry asked, I could still hear the smile in his voice.
      I nodded. "I don't wanna walk though," I mumbled.
I felt Larry's hands slide under me. "Don't you- achk!" Larry interrupted me by picking me up quickly.
He held me bridal style, and I crossed my arms and stuck out my lip. "Not cool dude," I mumbled, taking my mask from him as he passed it to me.
Larry laughed, "You didn't wanna walk," he said.
"He's like a genie, you gotta be specific," Ash said, following us out of the room with a laugh.
We made it to the living room. Larry went to put me down, but I grabbed his shirt. "Nope, you dug your grave. You gotta stay now," I said groggily.
Larry laughed, sitting on the couch with me still in his arms. I snuggled into his chest and groaned. "I'm never drinking again!"
Larry snorted. "You said that last time too dude," he said jovially.
I sighed. "That may be so, but this time I'm dead serious," I groaned, my face still buried in his chest.
      He laughed, flicking a movie on. There were heavy footsteps behind us, and Todd flopped down onto the couch as well.
     "I'll go make sure Ash isn't going to burn down our kitchen," Neil joked from behind us.
     Todd laughed. "Alright. Careful though, she's around knives in there," he teased.
     "Hey! I can hear you asshats!" Ash yelled from the kitchen.
     Neil laughed before kissing Todd's forehead and wandering to the kitchen.
     "Are we going to address the brutal murder I walked in on today?" Todd asked, joking about the pillow fight.
     "Larry started it," I said from my place on his lap.
     "Dude, lil bro, homie, you're in no position to be selling me out right now my buddy," Larry laughed, his hands moving to my sides.
     "You wouldn't," I said, glaring at him.
     "Oh but I would," he exclaimed as he started to tickle me.
     "Fuck! Stop it Larry! Ah! I will throw up on you you prick!" I said between laughter.
     Larry stopped. "Please don't," he said, suddenly concerned at the mention of vomit.
     I gasped for breath, laying across him and leaning on the arm of the couch. "You absolute asshole," I said, wiping my eyes.
     Larry laughed. "Maybe so, but I'm your best friend so."
     "Don't bring in my attachment to you in a time like this!" I exclaimed through more breathy laughter.
Larry laughed, his face lighting up as he did. His brown eyes were bright with laughter and his body language was relaxed.
I was struck again by how good looking he was, and how deeply I cared about him.
I felt my face flush under my mask. I looked back to the movie we were watching, and we fell into a quiet lull for a while.
     "Food!" Ash yelled from the kitchen.
      I groaned, causing Larry to laugh at me again.
Todd got up first, tapping away at his phone. Larry and I followed, me stumbling a bit on my feet.
Ash passed out pancakes, and we sat around the table. There was random chatter that I didn't clue into. I was focused on not throwing up while eating my breakfast.
I am never drinking again.