Church-goers

Sal..
     There was a shocked silence throughout the kitchen as I stood with my arms crossed. My eyebrows were furrowed under my mask but I doubt anyone could see this small motion.
"Travis? Really?" Larry asked in awestruck disbelief.
I nodded, my lips pressed together. "He's a pastor at the church downtown. He's gotta know about something," I said, silently willing Larry to shut up and just try this.
"He used to pick on all of us, and he would hit you, Sal," Larry urged, his eyes studying my own.
"Is it really safe to bring him around? Especially since you and Larry being a thing now?" Ash asked, her arms crossed over her chest and her eyebrows furrowed.
"If he still has the same feelings as he did in school, then he's not going to do anything. Plus, I do have that note to hold over him if he does try anything," I said, leaning back on my heels.
Ash shook her head. "Sal, that's blackmail, we can't do that."
"I'm not going to blackmail him outright. Just if he tries pulling any of his bullying bullshit," I said, shrugging before crossing my arms across my chest.
"We don't really have another choice," Todd chimed in, his sudden resolve startling us all a little.
Ash sighed, unfolding her arms to rub her eyes. "Just be careful. No shame in bailing," she offered, smiling a little up at me.
I nodded. "I know. Larry and I can go to talk to him tomorrow, seeing as it's Sunday and he should be free after his service. But, I think I should go and talk to him on my own," I said with resolve, bracing myself for backlash.
"Fuck no," Larry chimed in.
"Why not?"
"He's an asshole!"
I sighed, throwing my hands up in the air. I was exhausted, and this arguing wasn't helping. "Larry, I'm going to do this as it's the only thing we can do right now. I don't want to keep having these nightmares," I said, my voice breaking a little at the end, as my exhaustion leaked into my voice.
Larry searched my eyes, then sighed and his shoulders dropped. "Alright. Fine. But like Ash said, no shame in bailing," he said, clearly realizing that he wasn't getting anywhere with this.
I sighed, feeling a wave of exhaustion wash over me. "I'm going to go now. I'm beat," I mumbled, jabbing a thumb over my shoulder in the general direction of the exit of the kitchen.
"Alright, meeting adjourned," Todd joked, a tired smile on his face.
I left after that, my feet dragging as I forced myself back into Larry's room. I practically fell onto the bed. I was exhausted, in more ways than one. I was just dozing off when the door to Larry's room opened slowly.
I glanced towards the source of the noise. Larry stood, leaning against the closed door with a panicked look on his face. I pushed myself up so I was sitting. "What's wrong?" I asked softly, swinging my legs off the side of the bed.
Larry shook his head. "It's all too much. First everything at Addison's, and now we're going to play buddy buddy with our old schoolyard bully," he said, his voice wavering slightly at the end.
I sighed, looking away from the pained look in his eyes. "I'm sorry. I just have to do what's best for everyone," I said softly.
Larry scoffed. "What about you? Sal, he's hit you so hard before. It really scared me. He's broken your prosthetics before, and the principle wanted to call the cops one time," he said, his voice almost pleading.
I shook my head. "If I get hurt to save the rest of you guys, then I suppose that's as good of a reason as any," I mumbled.
I heard a muffled noise from Larry, and when I looked up, his hand was over his mouth and silent tears slipped down his cheeks. "Sal... don't say stuff like that," he said quietly, his voice weak, so weak that I had to strain to hear his words from across the small room.
I made a strangled noise in my throat. "I'm sorry, I didn't know-"
"That's the issue," Larry cut me off, meeting my eyes with his strong brown eyes. "You don't know how much you mean to me, and hearing you say stuff like that scares me, so much. I love you, you idiot. Stop trying to throw yourself into the face of danger because you think it's your duty. It's not," he said, anger and emotion clogging his throat and when I met his eyes again, he looked absolutely sure of all his words despite the tears rolling from them.
"I'm so sorry, Larry. I didn't think," I said softly as I stood.
He wiped his eyes angrily with the heels of his hands before coming over to me and pulling me into a tight hug. "Just don't be dumb and do anything selfless," he mumbled into my hair as he held me to his chest.
His heart was pounding within his rib cage, and I could tell that his breathing was irregular despite his best efforts to hide it. I held onto him tightly. Eventually Larry pulled back from me, wiping his eyes absentmindedly. I put my hand on his cheek, wiping away stray tears with the pad of my thumb. "C'mon, I wanna hear about what's been bothering you," I said softly.
Larry nodded. "Alright, let's sit down first."