•16~Chaol Westfall•

A/n~Aww, I just thought this was a cute idea. I have no ideas left after this one so if you want to request something in the comments, I'm fine with that.

You were the queens hand maiden and had been for almost a year now. It had took a while to figure out your way around the castle and get to know the people in it. Since you were friendly and quite outgoing, you had made friends with a lot of the servants and guards and were quite popular around the castle.

Since you were only 21, your father was hoping that you would find a suitor that you liked rather than make a match for you. You were thankful for this, and wanted to pick your husband to be carefully because there would be no going back. One man had particularly caught your eye, and his name was Chaol. He was the captain of the royal guard and Prince Dorian's best friends, which meant you saw a lot of him. Mostly, he was quite and mysterious, and you thought your curiosity was the main reason you were interested in him.

You walked across the courtyard just as the sun was rising, going to wake the queen up and help her get ready. Servants were going about their business and guards were swapping shifts. You noticed Chaol in one of the corridors and took a slight detour to go past him.
"Good morning, Chaol. How are you?" You said as you beamed at him. You tried to show him that you were interested in him but he didn't seem to show the same enthusiasm.
"I'm fine, and you?" He asked, continuing to walk and you followed along beside him.
"I'm good," You answered, silently wishing that the conversation would last longer. Sadly, you had already made it to the corridor you needed to turn up. "Goodbye, Chaol." You said, before turning up the corridor and arriving at the queens chambers.

Chaol may have come off as uninterested, but he was actually just nervous around you. You were confident and everyone around the castle liked your bubbly personality. Chaol, on the other hand, wasn't exactly known for his friendliness. He kept more to himself and didn't go out of his way to talk to people he didn't like. He also wasn't sure wether you liked him or wether you were being nice, since you were always so kind to everyone.

Later on, you sat with the queen in her parlour chatting about how excited you were for the Yule ball that was soon coming up. Suddenly, there were shouts from the corridor and what sounded like the clashing of metal. In this sort of situation, you had been taught to the lock the door and protect the queen as best you could as it seemed to you as though an attacker had gotten into the Castle.

You ran to the door, twisting the key so the door locked you and the queen inside.
"Lady Y/n, do you think it's an attacker?"
"Your majesty, it is possible. Please go and lock yourself in the dressing room." You whispered to her, fearing someone could be listening from the other side of the door.

She did as you told her to, and you looked for a weapon that could be used against an attacker. You found a large stack of books, which you could probably hit someone over the head with if you needed to. You sat facing the main door as this was the only anyone could get into the suite, or so you thought.

The sound of the window creaking open behind you made the hairs on the back of your neck stand on edge and you swung round as quickly as possible to see a man with his face covered climbing from one of the balconies through the window. One of his legs was already on the floor when you reacted and grabbed one of the books off the pile and threw the book at the intruder as hard as you could.

The corner of the heavy book hit the intruder square in the chest and the man yelped. Before he could even react, you were throwing the next book and the next book.
"Ouch! Stop, Stop!" But you kept throwing the books , the voice sounded familiar but most invasions were an inside job, so you were told.
"Y/n, it's me!" The man unmasked himself and revealed that he was Chaol. "This was just a test, to see if you knew what you needed to do in an attack. You passed."
You let out a sigh of relief but your hands still shook from the confrontation.
"Are you joking me? You nearly scared me to death!" You were serious at first but then you began laughing when you noticed how many books you had thrown. You walked over to Chaol. "Sorry about the books."
"You used your initiative at least." He let out a chuckle.

You brushed his arm slightly as you turned towards the dressing room where the queen was still hidden. Chaol blushed at the contact; you didn't actually see this, but you knew what he was like. You let the queen out and explained to her what was going on. She sighed with relief and praised you for how professional you had been even though it was your job.

Later that night, you left the queen's chambers after she had gone to bed and walked towards your own room. When you walked past the soldiers training barracks, Chaol spotted you and ran over. You smiled kindly as he approached which made him feel slightly more confident.
"Chaol, I heard the wounds from the books were pretty bad." You jokes and he laughed along.
"They were actually pretty good weapons, even if they only gave me a few bruises." Chaol complimented and you seemed satisfied with yourself.
"Maybe you can show me how to use a proper weapon like a sword on Friday, since it's my day off." You slyly commented hoping he wouldn't back out. Chaol gulped nervously as he answered.
"Of course, I'm off after lunchtime on Friday so I can teach you afterwards." Chaol stuttered some of the words he was that nervous. You took his hand in yours and squeezed it reassuringly.
"I would really like that." You smiled at him before pecking him lightly on the cheek. "I'll see you Friday." You quickly sped up the corridor towards your room before he could react. Chaol's face burned bright red, but he had never been more excited for a date.