Chapter 2: Hatching a Plan

• Dedicated to Freddie Mercury, and my friends

That Same Day

"When did you find this out?" I gasped, shocked that one of my friends had the disease I was learning about. It couldn't be true. I was so confused, and the confusion made me angry. "Why didn't you tell me?"

I could have sworn I saw a tear in the corner of Roger's eye. "We found out a few years ago. I wish I could have told you sooner, but we didn't think it was that serious. Freddie kept so calm about it. He never complained about being ill or weak. He always did a fantastic job of hiding it. We didn't think we had to tell you, but he's gotton worse. He can hardly move sometimes, he's so weak. Yet his will is so strong. I remembered that you were learning about HIV and AIDS. I need your help, Miss Burke."

"You can count on me. I will do anything to help Freddie."

Roger's eyes, holding back the tears, gazed into mine. "Thank you Ella. You are so kind and helpful." He patted me softly on the head, as a father would do to his child.

What had I promised to do? I was only 26. How could I, just one young woman, find a cure for a disease that had killed millions? I don't know why I accepted. It was too much for me.

"Roger- I can't-"

I stopped, thinking about Freddie. He'd always been so strong, even when suffering from AIDS for years. He never gave up or surrendered. I've worked with HIV positive people before. Most of them cried, complaining that their life was over. But, as Roger had said, Freddie never complained.

"What I meant to say is," I continued, "I can't say no. I can't give up."

Roger's arms caught me up in a friendly hug. "That's the determined girl I know!" Giggling, I returned the embrace.

Later that afternoon, Roger called up Brian May and John Deacon to meet at a coffeeshop in the East End of London. They agreed to meet us at 4:30.

I enjoyed the ride through the city in Rog's car. We arrived at the coffeehouse, the Crown Cafe, about 15 minutes after leaving my flat. The Crown Cafe was plain at first glance, just a simple brick building with a fabric banner plastered above the red door, which was in between two large windows. Not a first-class cafe, definitely not where one would expect members of a world-famous band to choose as a rendezvous.

The interior was a bit more upscale; the floors were a beautiful granite tile and the counter was mahogany. The shop was empty except for the clerk and two familiar faces: Brian with his usual long, curly dark hair, and John, recognizable by his charming smile and friendly eyes.

"Brian! John! How I've missed you!" I squealed in excitement, running to them. Had the shop been crowded, everyone would have stared at me in bewilderment.

Roger pulled two chairs up to the table where John and Brian were sitting. "Ella missed us greatly."

"Ah yes, Ella Burke, the clever young doctor, daughter of Jonathan- how could we forget you?" John teased, sipping a mug of black coffee.

After continuing in lighthearted banter, as friends usually do, I decided I needed to tell them my plan. "Roger told me that Freddie has AIDS. I'm going to help him as best I can. I promise you that I will work as hard as I can to find a cure for this terrible disease. I'll do it for Fred." Roger nodded in agreement.

Brian was the first to speak. "You can try, dear. Please do try. Maybe you could save Freddie, but it will take lots of work."

My throat felt lumpy and dry, my brain felt nervous, yet I proclaimed "I'm willing to work, Bri. I'm a doctor after all."

John laughed, and soon all four of us were giggling. Gradually we came back to grips with reality. I continued to talk about my plan, telling John, Roger, and Brian about my knowledge of AIDS and my plan to find a way to strenghten Freddie's immune system so he could possibly fight off the disease. This was absolutely serious. I couldn't waste any time.

By the time Roger and I bid farewell to Brian and John, the sun had just set. We promised to meet them again next week. After being escorted home by Roger, I fell asleep almost instantaneously on the sofa. Damn, I should have gotten black coffee like John instead of a scone. But still- I needed all the sleep I could get.