Chapter 5: A New Year

• Dedicated to Freddie Mercury, and my friends

December 1990 - February 1991

That bleak November faded into December, and Brian, John, Freddie, and Roger left for Switzerland to record a few more songs, in case they could make another album after Innuendo. I still managed to call my friends every few days while they were away, but I missed them even for those few weeks.

One Wednesday, after working, I strolled down the street as snow fell gently on my head. Walking past a card shop, I looked in the window. Fancy paper Christmas cards were lined up in fancy patterns. Hmm, I thought, I should buy one for my friends. So I walked into the shop, where I found a card with a beautiful painting of a snowy landscape, embossed in silver. I bought it to send to John, Brian, Roger, and Freddie and walked back home, where I wrote a special message.

Dear Fellows- I hope you are doing well recording the songs. What is it like in Montreaux? Is the scenery beautiful? I saw this card and thought you'd enjoy the image on the front. Stay happy and keep your heads up. Most of all- have a happy Christmas and a great New Year. -Ella Burke

My Christmas went rather well. My mum and dad came to visit my flat for dinner. Since I couldn't cook, Mum made the meal. We ate ham, potatoes, rolls, and apple pie- a typical middle-class meal. I told my parents about my Alex Greenway and his hemophilia, along with a few other patients I'd worked with, but I didn't mention Freddie. I wanted to keep the fact that he was dying of AIDS a secret.

It was the first time I'd seen my parents in about 3 months. They were very loving, friendly people- the best parents a busy young doctor could ask for. The flat felt so empty after they left, except for me and Smoky the cat, who had curled up on the windowsill that overlooked London, covered in snow.

I picked up a small cardboard box that had arrived the previous day and was lying on the floor. I'd neglected to open it. Upon doing so, I found a piece of stationary and something wrapped in red tissue paper. I picked up the note, written in what I recognized as Roger's handwriting.

Ella- we are here in Montreaux, and the weather is very cold. I make sure that Freddie stays indoors at all times. His condition isn't improving. We're recording a few parts of songs, but Brian and I have to sing some of the vocals because of Freddie's poor health. John wanted to tell you that he thinks Montreaux is the most beautiful place on earth. I don't agree with him. London is far more beautiful! We've chosen a present for you. The photo is from 1974, back when we were young... Think of it as a gift from our hearts to yours. Happy Christmas. -Roger Taylor, on behalf of Brian, Freddie, and John.

Inside the tissue paper was a beautiful little wooden picture frame with a black-and-white photograph of the boys. They all had long, gorgeous hair, each looking very different from how they did now. The last 17 years had changed them all.

Looking straight into photo-Roger's big eyes, I whispered- "Thank you, Roggie." I knew he couldn't hear me, but I felt comfort in saying the words.

Due to Freddie's absence, I spent my time caring for other patients in those first months of 1991. Patients seemed to flood my office, where I kept the picture frame I had received for Christmas. Men and women arrived, asking for an examination so I could determine whether they were infected or not. Luckily, 6 out of the 8 patients I had to work were not HIV positive. The terror of AIDS increased. One man was worried that he had recieved the disease from poor sanitation. Another claimed that he'd received it from an IV in his arm. I had to work extra hours to find new information for both these people and Freddie.

On the evening of February 5th, my phone rang. I expected Roger, but it was Brian's voice I heard.

"Ella, good evening. I have big news." He seemed to be happy- so was this good news?

"Yes Bri? Do tell! What is it?" I wondered.

"The album Innuendo was released today. Plus- we're coming back to London."

I smiled. "Thank God! It's so lonely here."

Brian's laugh danced through the phone line.

"Is Freddie getting any better?" I asked.

"No. He's in a lot of pain, so he takes painkillers every day. Another doctor told him that he wouldn't live to see another year."

"I will make sure he can hold on to his life as long as he can. Don't worry, Brian."

"I won't," he stated, "even though it's hard. Be sure to buy Innuendo, dear."

"Of course I will! Goodbye- I can't wait to see you again!" I hung up the phone.

The following day, I went to the record store to buy the CD. Despite the strange and somewhat garish image on the album cover- an illustration of a clown-like figure juggling the planets- I daresay that Innuendo was the best purchase of my life. I sat at home, intently listening to every word sung, every note played. I enjoyed the hard-rock vibe of "Headlong", the powerful vocals in "The Show Must Go On", and the whimsical lyrics of "I'm Going Slightly Mad."

For the first time in months, everything felt perfect in my life.