Chapter 6: Friends Return

• Dedicated to Freddie Mercury, and my friends

February-April 1991

In late February, I received a phonecall from my American friend Nathan Miller with some very important news.

"Hello Ella? How's the research on AIDS going?" It felt good to hear his voice. I hadn't seen him since we graduated in 1988.

"It's going well. I'm a busy woman."

"Are you too busy for me?" asked Nathan.

"What?"

"I'm moving to London in 5 weeks. After not being able to find a job back in the USA, I decided that my future is in Britain. I want to work in specializing in diseases, like you. Whaddaya say?"

My jaw dropped for a second. "That's bloody fantastic! And of course I'd love for you to work in the same clinic I do."

"Wow, thanks El!"

"Sure. Um, Nathan? I miss you."

"I miss you more. Can't wait to get back to the U.K.!"

I was so excited to see Nathan. At Oxford, we'd been best friends. I could still picture him; short brown hair, always wearing a smile... I couldn't believe that he was leaving the United States.

One day, a few minutes after arriving home from work, Roger, John, Brian, and Freddie came to my house for a surprise visit. I lit up with joy upon opening the door and seing them that March day.

"Oh hello! I take it you enjoyed Switzerland?" I asked, taking a blue coat that John handed me and hanging it up on my coatstand.

"It was just amazing!" exclaimed Freddie, softly. "But I'm in pain..." He followed his friends to the sofa.

"Oh Fred- don't be sad," comforted John.

"I'm not sad, my love, I'm perfectly well!" he added, jokingly. It was amazing how such an ill man could be so cheerful.

"Don't tell yourself that if it's not true-" I said. I hated to be the killjoy here. "You are very ill, my dear Freddie. I can tell by your weak movement. Tell me, do you continue to take the medicine that you've been prescribed?" He nodded, then coughed loudly. I read the faces of Roger, John, and Brian, whose eyes were full of sadness. How hard it must be to know a friend is dying! I still felt pain in my soul, knowing there wasn't much I could do.

My heart felt heavy when John spoke. "Please try, Ella. Please save Freddie." His hazel eyes were unsuccessfully holding back tears. He buried his head in his hands, sobbing. It was so unusual to watch a grown man cry. As an emotional woman, I often cried to express my feelings, but this was the first time I'd seen Deaky cry. Roger looked on with sympathy.

Brian changed the subject: "So, Ella, what do you think of Innuendo?"

"Perhaps one of the greatest albums yet! It's amazing. Of course, I also love The Game and The Miracle, but Innuendo is my favorite."

"The Game, eh?" asked Roger. He started to sing, his voice high and melodic. "All you have to do is fall in love, play the game, everybody play the gaaaammmme..."

"Of loooove!" I completed Roger's singing. Freddie and Brian laughed.

"Not bad," commented Freddie, "but I'm much better." He raised his eyebrows.

John finally cracked a smile. I loved it when he was happy- he had an adorable gap-toothed smile and such cheerful eyes.

"Darlings, we all know I'm the best," he added, beginning to sing Breakthru: "If I could only reach you, if I could make you smile, if I could only reach you, that would really be a BREAKTHRUUU!" Roger and I applauded.

Before I knew it, we were all singing to eachother. We sand completely through Scandal and Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and parts of Innuendo, each taking turns singing the verses and joining in on the chorus.

"Oooooh, we'll keep on trying. Yesss, we'll keep on-" Freddie started to cough loudly. We all stopped. Panicking, I ran to the kitchen to get my friend a cup of water. A startled Brian took Freddie's right hand, trying to comfort him.

"Drink this water darling-" I handed the cup to Freddie, who took it with his left hand. "AIDS is really weakening you. I'm sorry."

I looked down int his soft eyes, so beautiful and brown. "It's not your fault," he said with a raspy voice. "You try your best. That's all anyone can do."

My lips turned up into a smile, which Freddie returned. "My friend from New York, Nathan Miller, is moving to London in 3 weeks. Maybe he can help me find a solution."

"That, my love, would be brilliant," Roger said, speaking for Freddie, who nodded.

I was glad that I was able to have a little bit of fun with my friends and offer consolation to Freddie, but his time was starting to run out.

In the first week of April, it was Nathan who surprised me with a visit. I can remember staring at him in amazement when I opened the door. There was my college friend, looking at me with the same blue eyes. I couldn't resist running towards him to give him a hug.

"Nathan! When did you get here?" I asked, wrapping my arms around him.

"About two days ago. It took me a while to unpack my stuff into my apartment."

"Why didn't you tell me so? I could have helped."

His strong arms wrapped around my body. "You're a busy girl, Ella. You don't need to waste your time on my furniture. So, is this wehre you live?" He examined my flat. "Nice place."

"Thanks." I let go and sat on the sofa.

"Been doing anything important lately? Or just the usual?"

"I'm sure you've heard Nathan..." I felt awful about spilling Freddie's secret, but Nathan was trustworthy. "Freddie Mercury, whom I met about 5 years ago, is seriously ill, and I need to find a way to save him. I've been researching a lot, but I can't figure out a cure."

Nathan's face fell. "I've heard. Such a shame, Freddie is my favorite singer."

"Mine too. I've been trying to maintain his immune system, but he's still very sick."

"I will help you research. I brought you more articles about AIDS. I promise that I'll get them to you tomorrow."

Leave it to Nathan to be helpful. I called up Roger that night to tell him the good news. Maybe, just maybe, progress could be made.