Chapter 3: Meeting Again

• Dedicated to Freddie Mercury, and my friends

Late Oct. - Early Nov. 1990

I didn't see Brian or John that week, but Roger came to visit me at my office daily. Every day for the next week would be as usual. I spent the bulk of my days digging up magazines and newspapers with articles on AIDS and the human immune system, searching for as much information as I could. I was quite occupied, but nonetheless, Roger visited, bringing me coffee from the Crown Cafe and sitting to talk.

"Any luck yet, Miss Burke?" he'd ask every day.

"I'm not learning everything new, but hopefully I'll discover something soon," I'd reply. "I'm looking everywhere, Rog."

His smile faded every time I told him that I hadn't found any new information. He was usually such a cheerful man. I hated to see Roger Taylor sad. It was like watching a child cry.

When I next met up with Brian and John, they told me about the album that they planned to release late in the year as we clumped on the sofa at my flat. "We've recorded most of the songs already and we're continuing to record more. Freddie said he wanted to record music until he died, so we think that this album will be a great last effort, before his life ends," John explained.

"It's called Innuendo," stated Brian. "We had to record most of it in Montreaux, Switzerland, because the public won't stop hounding Freddie. He's doing such a great job hiding his secret, but rumours have started to spread. I think this album well may be our last together."

"We had to record our videos in black and white to disguise Freddie's pale appearance," added John. "He's in very serious condition."

My heart dropped. It might be too late to save Freddie, but I had to try. Just picturing him suffering so much almost made me cry.

"Would you like to hear some of a song I wrote?" asked Roger, innocently. "It's called These Are the Days of Our Lives. I'm not as good as Fred, but I could sing a bit if you like." I nodded eagerly,

Roger's voice was soft, high, and gentle as he sang, just as I remembered it.

"Those were the days of our lives, the bad things in life were so few, those days are all gone now but one thing's still true, when I look and I find I still love you..."

I applauded thunderously after he finished. He bowed, imitating Freddie at concerts, "Thank you, darlings!" He blew me a kiss.

"It's beautiful, Roggie. I can tell that Innuendo will be a fantastic album. Promise me this- never stop believing in music. It's the solution to everything. Music."

Roger, Brian and John nodded. I got up to pour glasses of water for them. As we sat around the coffee table with our drinks, they explained more about all of their songs for the new album. I listened in amazement. It was so hard to believe that I was friends with Queen. It was amazing beyond belief.

A few days later, while reading a copy of Time magazine that my American friend Nathan had mailed to me, and sitting in my office, the phone rang. What is it now?, I thought. I'm busy.

Nonetheless, I picked up the telephone. "Hello?"

"Ella, this is Roger. I know you're busy working and all- but do you want to come visit Freddie tonight?"

Did I? Of course! I needed to talk to him, to tell him my plan, to catch up with him after spending so many years apart. My heart leapt. "I would love to, Rog. I'll come over at 8."

"Okay." Roger's words sounded like smooth butter on my ears.

"It's at Freddie's house, right?"

"Yes- you know the place. Hopefully there won't be any paparazzi surrounding the house."

"Roger, I'm reading an article about the AIDS epidemic in Africa. It's very tragic, what's occuring there. It breaks my heart, the statistics of how many have died."

I could hear Roger sigh at the other end of the phone line. "Yes, it's tragic. But still more tragic is the fact that there's no cure. Poor Freddie..."

"I'm determined to find a solution." My voice sounded so strong, but inside I felt spineless as a jellyfish. "I'll see you at 8 o'clock at Fred's house." Still nervous, I hung up the phone and went back to my magazine.