Chapter 10

Parker was running late from his meeting and Carter was already at the jeweler's.

His driver stopped in front of a smaller building that had gold awnings.

"Fancy," he thought to himself.

He was required to show ID and then walk through a metal detector and then was escorted into the elevator with a burly guard right behind him

He heard a burst of laughter that sounded so.. so infectious, as soon as they stepped out of the elevator in that small building.

Initially, when Carter said he needed help finding a ring for his soon to be fiancee, he thought they would just walk into the usual Tiffany's or Cartier.  

Apparently, he was recommended by Henry and a few friends, of an up and coming private designer that had a knack for creating unique pieces. Word was, she was consulting the immensely wealthy clientele of New York City and slowly spreading across the country.

Carter being Carter, had to have something special for the love of his life. 

Parker knew someday, maybe he would put that much effort into someone -- only if he found someone who would put effort into him.

That laugh rang through the sitting area again and he couldn't help but smile at how jovial it sounded. What on earth was so funny? He began to wonder.

He could see Carter's blonde hair in the seating area behind the reception.

The receptionist guided him to the seating area where everyone was seated. He instantly noticed the black-haired beauty, phone in hand as she wiped away tears of laughter. Everyone else seemingly in shreds

"Hey.. sorry, my meeting ran late." he locked eyes with her and took a while to avert his gaze to Carter and the other guy.

"Parker Garrison." he held his hand out to her expecting a soft shake but got a firm grip.

"Lovely to meet you. This is my business partner Benjamen."

They both knew instantly that this was a pure coincidence. From years ago, when he delivered food to her, and at that damn Target store.

"Ben for short." Ben responded trying not to laugh hard at the electricity that was zipping between the two. 

"Let's get started shall we?" she regrouped herself and stood up pointing to her office.

 "Go on in guys. Would you like any drinks? I feel like the both of you are whiskey men." Ben walked over to the makeshift bar and showed them the impressive liquor collection.

"I take mine neat." Parker replied

"I'll do the same thanks." 

"Come on in guys. Let the fun begin." Kassia ushered them into her brightly lit office, due to the amazing floor to ceiling windows.

Kassia took in the two men in front of her as discreetly as she could, without staring too much. She knew Ben thought the same thing as they stepped out of the office because he had given her a knowing look just she was ushering them into her office.

"Parks, Kassia actually was up at Shane's few weekends ago and met Maria then."

"Nice. My sister really loves her ring by the way. It really was the talk of the town." he said casually as he noticed how her long legs looked in that pencil skirt she wore with a silk white blouse.

"I really surprised me how close that community is. Circles cross a lot. But I'm glad I hit the nail with that. In my mind, I pictured a very classy lady that needed a simple but loud ring. Henry agreed." she pulled open the loose stones she had selected based on what Carter had said budget-wise and also from what she noticed about Maria.

"You had the chance of meeting Maria, so I hope it is special." Carter looked a little nervous.

"Do you meet the women you craft the rings for usually?" Parker asked curiously

"Oftentimes couples come in together on the first visit. Then the guy comes in after. Sometimes its just the guy. Either way Carter, you don't have to worry. We'll go with what you're thinking and see from there." she pushed the box toward the both of them.

Kassia was used to the younger upscale clients that NYC had to offer.

The millennial millionaires. She thought to herself. Which other generation makes a living off of social media and other genius inventions. Her clients never failed to impress her. Well, it never hurt that she got to meet these types of people.

Parker was thoroughly enjoying the process Kassia was taking Carter through. He sipped on his whiskey, enjoying her slight accent and the way she listened to Carter and took notes was rather impressive and had a great personal touch.

On her desk, there were GIA certificates and she had four loose diamonds of different shapes displayed for their understanding. She took them through the 7 steps of making a custom ring and she didn't realize how much she was impressing them. 

She, on the other hand, could feel Parker's gaze on both of them. Reminding herself of what to do next, she went to the vault and pulled out a tray of rings that were already designed. 

"She likes tourmalines or amethyst -- and I would prefer an Oval cut around 3 carats. Go ahead and draw me something. I trust you." he said honestly.

Parker now sat up a little straighter as he watched Kassia pull out another black book that seemed to resemble what artists had to sketch things out.

Using a felt tip pen, she immediately drew out the design, from various angles and cross-sections. The room was filled with only the sound of her pen on paper. She pulled out a blue felt pen and then colored in some stones. True to her word, 5 minutes later she had a sketch in front of both of them.

Boy oh boy were they impressed.

"I'm sorry but how long have you been doing this for?" Parker stared at her.

"Just over 6 months now." she smiled briefly, hoping she wasn't being scrutinized for it.

"What Parker actually means is, we're very impressed with your work and clearly your talent and passion for it." Carter smiled warmly.

"Yes, that's really all I meant. You seem.. very young as well." he flashed her a smile that would have made her slip off her chair had she not been holding on to the handles pretty tightly.

"Yes, I'm 27 if you consider that young. I actually gave up my career as an accountant for this. I've been obsessed with jewelry growing up and it took a lot for me to jump into this field. But I realized there was a void with personalized ring concierge services." she said proudly.

It took a lot of effort for people to impress Parker. Especially women.

Kassia just didn't even have to try with him.

He knew he had to come back for seconds.

"You don't need to convince us that you know what you're doing. So, let's get started with this process." Carter smiled

"Great, so here are just some outlines of payment and other details" she explained everything perfectly and Carter handed her a check that would allow her to source more antique designs for her online store.

" I will keep you updated on things with the ring and when the molding is produced." she shook Carter's hand as she walked him and Parker out the door.

"Would you say I nailed what she would like? Especially since she was over here yesterday?" Carter smiled boyishly.

So he knew! "Carter, you nailed it perfectly. Maria loved the rainbow band and she definitely loves that cut off diamond when I presented her with some."

"It was a pleasure meeting you Parker." she shook his hand sternly as well as she stared into his green eyes.

If only she could stare into them just a little longer and hear that delicious Irish accent again.

But she had a funny feeling with how they bumped into each other from years ago, that New York City seemed to have plans for them.