Chapter 8

Carter somehow found himself back in Montauk again, after being convinced by his friend Shane.

"Bring Maria, it'll be fun. Nothing too wild."

"You know she won't say no to Montauk. Her family is just at Amagansett. She will be thrilled."

He made the call to Maria next and she was ecstatic. "I can't wait to see Shane again! I'll let my parents know we will need to use the house. I don't think they're there this weekend."

"Shame, I would've loved to hang out with them for a bit." it was true, Carter's parents were not around anymore and Maria's parents had always made him feel like they were his family.

"You think Parker would come?" she asked.

"No, he'll be away in Beijing for some important meeting."

"Shame, he needs to have fun more. Honey, you need to work on that." she chided

"I try. He's just focused on work. I'm sure someday a girl will get his attention and he will learn to organize his life around her more."

"Is that what happened with you?" she asked coyly knowing that was the truth.

Parker and Carter and another of their friend were workhorses. Carter was instantly taken aback with Maria.

"You know it honey. You hit me like a hurricane, as cheesy as that sounds and I was more than happy to make time for you. I made sure of it. Even though... you didn't at first." he laughed.

"You were too good to be true. I had to make sure." she replied.

"Mmm, I could say the same about you."

"Well, I have to go, next bunch of kids to teach. I will see you tonight." she said just as he could hear the chatter of students walking into her class hall.

She was a professor at NYU and smart as hell.

"I love you Maria."

"I love you Carter."

~~

"I must say Kassia, you have amazing taste in jewelry." Riley noticed her layered necklaces, the stack of bracelets that gleamed in the sunshine, and her ear lobes that were adorned with more diamonds.

"Oh wow thank you." she smiled.

"Kassia, won't gloat about it but I will. She's a private jeweler. A ring concierge." Shane smiled.

"Get outta here!"

They chatted about how she had a love for diamonds that stemmed from her grandfather. From the top of the story right to the nitty-gritty bits to where she and Ben were today.

"Boss ass bitch is what you are." Riley said with admiration.

"Thank you." she blushed. 

"I will be telling all my friends about you and your pieces." Riley followed their page on IG instantly.

"We actually have a friend coming over who is looking to propose. We won't say anything first. I'm sure Maria will comment on your jewelry for sure!"

"Oh she definitely will. Carter spoils her anyway and you actually remind us of her. Given that she has blonde hair and is 5'3". Personality-wise spot on." Shane agreed

"Thank you guys. It's like you know I don't want to push people in my way but want them to notice anyway."

"You're that way with guys too." Benji couldn't help but chirp in and that got them laughing. 

"Oh honey... we know loads of great guys who'd love to get to know you." Riley and Shane gave her a coy smile.

"Look, I don't mind observing eye candy. But at the end of the day, I get to pick my guy." she said.

"So they say.. so they say."

They spent the day being tourists. Riley and Shane took them around town to farmer's markets and to lovely boutiques. Lunched on fabulous lobster rolls and before they knew it, they were on the pool deck waiting for Carter and Maria and a few other people that were coming by.

"Hey boys!" they heard a female voice coming through the kitchen.

A curvy petite blonde had walked through, followed by a taller blonde hair guy.

"Maria! Carter! So great to see you. Glad you could make it." Shane and Riley gave them kisses.

"These are my friends Ben and Kassia. They live in New York as well."

Kassia gave a friendly smile and extended her hand to Maria first while Ben shook Carters'.

"Oh wow, you're seriously tall." Maria hugged her instead.

That was true, Kassia was tall, her mixture of Italian and Indian gave her the most beautiful olive-colored skin, black hair and brown eyes that glowed.

They then gathered around the massive island to start snacking and everyone else started trickling in. Before they knew it, the house was filled with people.

Kassia and Ben were separated but they were comfortable.

She was currently in a conversation with a bunch of women who of course, noticed her jewelry.

"You have the most beautiful diamond designs on you! Where are they from?" 

"I actually am a private jeweler, I do sell fine jewelry and do custom engagement rings as well as modifying existing settings to even just finding you a stone. This is my Instagram page."

"Oh my god YOU are The Ring Concierge? You made Amelia's ring!" the other gushed.

"You mean Amelia and Henry from Stamford and Yale?" she said not realizing how small circles ran here.

"That's them. Oh, I have to tell my boyfriend about you." Maria then chimed in not knowing that the plan was already in motion for her.

"I have to tell my husband I want a new tennis bracelet and I want my ring reset in your unique designs!" another one said.

"We must take a picture together." all five ladies huddled together and took Instagram stories of her all while tagging her so she could repost them onto her stories.

"I wish we could introduce her to Parker." Maria said out loud.

"Oh... yes. What a match that would be. Shame he's out of town." the red hair woman said. 

"Parker?" Kassia asked.

"He's Carter's best friend. The sweetest guy and the most hardworking person ever. That's what a boss lady like you needs." Maria concluded

"We will have to catch up more in the city Kassia. I think we would make great friends." she added to Kassia.

"Here is my personal number. Call me anytime, I'll even text you as well." they agreed.

The rest of the evening they enjoyed sunsets, met new people and it never failed to impress Kassia how the upper crust lived. 

She grew up in a middle-class family where her parents worked hard to give their three daughters what they needed to have a bright future. She had always dreamed of having this and she knew in just a few more years it definitely could be her.