twenty five. up where we belong

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭-𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐪

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭-𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐪

𝚞𝚙 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐

╚═══════════════╝

H I M

Deanna decided to let us stay in the community. But only after Dad killed Pete Anderson for murdering her husband.

Not even a week later, Ron Anderson was asking my father for shooting lessons. I didn't question it. Our community had been attacked by a group of outsiders with the letter 'W' carved into their foreheads. Many died. The Alexandrians had been so defenseless. So coddled. So inexperienced with what our world actually was. And when Ron wanted help learning how to develop necessary survival skills? I wasn't surprised. Although I did think it was odd he came to my father, considering mine had killed his own.

But it seemed the only person Ron was on the outs with was me. During the attack on Alexandria, Enid did her funny little thing of disappearing into thin air. No one had seen or heard from her since. She hadn't died, only went over the wall and into the woods. I had nothing to do with it, but that hadn't stopped Ron from accusing me.

I had made the mistake of referring to Enid as his 'friend.'

"My girlfriend." He had seethed, towering over me. "Or at least, she was."

I wanted to defend myself. Tell him that I had absolutely no interest in his girlfriend and was merely worried about her whereabouts due to her talents in aloofness and ability to disappear. She wasn't like the rest of Alexandria, she was hardened by the world. Understood it. That did not mean she was safe out there. Did he not get that? I decided the conversation was more trouble than its worth, despite knowing I could give him some sort of explanation.

But instead, I attempted to walk away. Which probably made it worse, because next thing I knew we were shoving each other around. I had never physically fought another person before but I managed to get Ron on the ground.