__JULY__

July; 2014

“I've never been to the café next door,” NamJoon recalls JungMi telling him earlier this summer and him replying with,
“I’ll take you someday.”

It is an abnormally chilly day in the middle of July. The breeze found its way into the bookstore and attacked the unprepared duo in their summer clothing. It is decidedly an unsuitable day to sit in the bookstore, but a great opportunity to visit the cafe next door as they both crave for a drink to warm themselves up.

NamJoon holds the door open for JungMi before following behind her.

It's a very modest establishment. There's the occasional customer who comes in, such as themselves, but business is mostly minimal. It might be busier on weekends, but the two of them are used to finding solace in the privacy of public places.

Despite the abundant choices among the sea of available tables, it is only instinct for them both to gravitate towards the table for two in the corner of the cafe. Their table next to the window provides a view of the street outside.

It's similar to a one way window; everyone who passes by don't see them, but JungMi and NamJoon can see them pass by.

“It's going to rain soon…” JungMi mumbles to the people outside the window. She rests her hands under her chin and warms her lips as she murmurs, “I didn't bring an umbrella…”

NamJoon lifts his eyes to the sky like he is so used to. There are clouds gliding across the sky in pairs, but not enough are forming for it to completely downpour.

“The sun is still out though… The chances of rain are low. They said it in the news.” NamJoon reassures her.

“And it's the middle of summer, yet we're here because it is chilly.” JungMi points out. She clasps her hands together and leans forward on the table, “That makes the chance of rain much higher.”

Before NamJoon can respond, the barista comes over clad in a black apron, a high ponytail, and a bubbly personality despite the weather.

“Can I get you guys something to drink?” The barista asks on a high note as she shifts her attention between the both of them, anticipating which one of them will answer first.

JungMi pulls away from the table and leans back in her chair properly, “I'll just have green tea, please.” JungMi offers the barista a smile in return, completely satisfied and certain in her decision.

“And you, sir?” The barista stuffs her hands in her apron pockets as she turns to NamJoon.

“Can I have a…” NamJoon grits his teeth and squints his eyes as he scans over the menu near the counter and decides what he wants. He doesn't have a preference; he just likes coffee, “I'll have an Americano, please.”

The barista nods in enthusiasm, “Of course! I'll have your drinks out in no time!”

The two express their gratitude as the barista walks away.

JungMi leans forward again on the table; her arms folded over one another under her chest as she exclaims in bewilderment,
“I never knew you were a coffee kind-of guy.”

NamJoon chuckles, but his eyebrows furrow in confusion, “What did you imagine me as?”

“I'm not sure…” She mumbles and shrugs, “But definitely not coffee.”

“Why not?”

“I hate coffee.” JungMi shrugs again, her summer top riling up at her shoulders.

NamJoon mirrors JungMi and leans across the table, claiming his portion of the surface, “What's wrong with coffee?”

“It's so… bitter. And the caffeine doesn't sit well with me.” JungMi makes a face full of disgust and contorted with repugnance, as if the bitter taste of the hellish drink is on her tongue. He expects her to continue her argument, but her tongue seems to repulse the mere mention of the cursed drink.