__JANUARY__

January ; 2018

NamJoon and JungMi visit the bookstore on a cold, winter day. They walk to the courtyard hand in hand and settle down on the stools across from each other at the single wooden table. They lower their face masks, and lower their guards, when they see that they're the only ones here. They never let go of each other's hands as they start to relax and bathe in the sunlight and the radiance of their company.

"Do you know what kairos and chronos are?" JungMi asks him absentmindedly as she plays with his fingers and traces the lines of his palm.

NamJoon smiles at her question and at her touch; his senses are filled by her being and he wouldn't want it any other way.

NamJoon has come to know the ancient conception of time and opportunity well through his readings. He relays this to JungMi with an affirmative, "Yes."

JungMi lines up her hand with his. Their hands are a dilation of each other's; her fingertips barely reach passed his first knuckle. NamJoon intertwines their fingers and lifts their interlocked hands to his lips to place a kiss on her knuckles.

She rests her chin in her free hand and tries to hide her smile in her palm at his romantic gesture.

"I feel like we're experiencing it. The power of kairos," JungMi remarks as she leans closer to him over the table, "All those months apart seem to disappear."

NamJoon understands what she's trying to say. Kairos can erase chronos; the moment they reconciled, all the time of their separation that passed up to that moment became obsolete.
They may look back and reflect on their time apart, but all that time could never amount to that single moment when everything became right.

"Scientists say about space that infinity and that the infinitesimal can be essentially the same thing," NamJoon says while brushing her hair out of her eyes and tucking it behind her ear with his free hand— a tendency he's picked up on since they began dating. He adds, "Reflecting back on my troubled inner self can be empty in itself. I will try not to be pessimistic about myself."

JungMi hums in agreement and watches as NamJoon brushes his thumb over her knuckles. She sighs in content. She never knew a person can make another person so happy.

After awhile of staying in this blissful state, JungMi lifts her head and blurts out, "There's something I've been meaning to show you."

She pulls her hand out of his and turns in her seat to dig through her bag. NamJoon makes a mental note to buy her a new one; the material is wearing thin from stuffing all her books and supplies in until it's filled to the brim, but NamJoon can't convince her to buy a newer one.

As he's thinking this, JungMi pulls out something she keeps in her bag at all times. He recognizes it right away once he sees the bold capital letters in her unique handwriting that are scratched across the cover: JUNGMI'S NOTEBOOK.

"You said before that you wanted to read it, and since we're dating now, I don't think there's any point in keeping it from you, so..." JungMi rambles as she flips through the lined paper for the page with the right date. Once she finds what she's looking for, she glances at NamJoon worriedly before sliding the journal across the table. He pulls the notebook closer to him for him to read clearly the poem she's written in No.2 pencil.

He's intrigued by the first line he reads. It's the poem she wrote about her and him:

To the boy with an IQ of 148:
Your mind is too intricate for this dull world,
Is that why you've built your own?
The palace in your mind, where you are king
and sovereign over your wishful thinking.
The boy with an IQ of 148,
This world is too dull for your brilliant mind.
And your capacity for concrete thought
makes you the highest percentile of mankind.
You are concrete, while I am abstract.
I see potential, while you see the facts.
You are logical, while I am creative.
I see beauty, while you are innovative.
When the boy with an IQ of 148
and the girl in the corner of the bookstore meet by fate.
You look up at the sky, while I close my eyes,
and we meet in the worlds we built in our minds.

Even after he's finished reading, his eyes return to the first line to read it all over again. JungMi observes his reactions, or lack thereof, while tapping her foot under the table. He never looks up from the poem and his eyes dart side to side in their sockets as he skins and scans.

JungMi moves her stool to his side of the table and sits beside him, shoulder to shoulder. She points to the first line that's a direct reference to him.

"So basically... I wanted to show the contrast in how we think—" JungMi starts to try to analyze and explain it. NamJoon gazes over at her as they both fall under their own trance: he's bewitched by her angelic side profile while she's bent over and intent on dissecting her poem for him; she is bent on making sure he understands the poem. She would face him occasionally throughout her lecture to make sure he's paying attention.

"—I used repetition a lot to emphasize this idea while also creating rhythm—" When JungMi turns her head to face him during her rambling, NamJoon cuts her off with a kiss.

"I understand completely." He assures her once he pulls away.

JungMi smiles up at him. She replies, "You always have."

JungMi leans into his lips again, craving the taste of Ambrosia that his mouth has to offer.

She is suddenly overtaken by the great desire to write poetry with her muse right beside her.

JungMi grabs a No.2 pencil from the depths of her deteriorating bag. She writes down, in the empty space beneath the poem, a new stanza that is yet to be finished:

To the boy with an IQ of 148: A person can change another person. Meeting you made me realize this.

fin.