IV: Control

"Alright troop, now that we're far enough from the camp, I can finally disclose our mission." Arcenciel said.

We'd been walking for 2 hours before he decided to stop in a clearing and position a bunch of small rocks around a large boulder for seating. He then checked with Houzer and Vasta if we were being followed, both confirming we weren't. Then, and only then, did Arcenciel jump on top on the boulder to tell us the mission.

"Just for future reference, yes, it does usually take him this long." Houzer whispered to me.

"Quiet you two." Maxie ordered.

"Our mission is to enter the territory of the Naga bandits to meet with Peach Fresco, who has been collecting intel on their defenses while undercover. We aren't too far from their border, once inside we will be considered hostile enemies, so we must tread carefully and quietly. If we continue at our current rate, we should arrive tomorrow night. Under the cover of darkness we will meet Fresco at a predetermined rendezvous point. We will then be escorting him back to our camp. If our mission is successful we will have nearly doubled our territory by attacking them with our larger forces back at camp with knowledge of their defenses. Do any of you have any questions?"

Vasta raised he hand and Arcenciel pointed to her.

"How powerful is the average bandit from their tribe?" She asked.

"Same as ours. Not strong on their own and they need large numbers to be effective. But I should remind you that each of us is above the level of the average bandit in either tribe." Arcenciel said.

"Spare the new guy." Maxie under his breath.

"Anything else? Good, let's keep on it then." Arcenciel said, jumping down from his boulder and leading us through the woods once again.

It was about an hour later, we were still walking through the shaded woods when Vasta told us to stop before she kneeled down and put her left hand on the ground.

"How many?" Arcenciel asked.

"Four. Ones overweight, two are about the same as Houzer, and one is in the trees. Their all maneuvering to surround us. Each is about 40 meters away, give or take."

"They're most likely from the Naga tribe. So our only choice is to fight, if we run or let any of them get away, they'll likely call for more of their tribe to attack us." Arcenciel said, thinking for a moment with one hand on his chin, "We should split up. I'll keep going forward, Maxie head back, Vasta go to our left, and Houzer I want you to take the new guy with you to the right. If I'm right, each of them will split up after us to attack each of us."

"So all we have to do is beat the guy that comes after us." Houzer said.

"Basically. Once you do, meet back here. If we aren't all back in an hour, leave for the Naga tribe camp. We can't afford to fail. Got that?" Arcenciel said.

Nobody had any questions.

"Good, now let's go troop!"

We each ran in our separate directions, Houzer and I sprinting into the woods to our right. Eventually, we came to an opening with wide river, too deep for there not to be something dangerous in there among the reeds and lily pads. The trees behind shook as something jumped from one to the other.

"Well, at least we know which one we got." Houzer said.

A man jumped down from the tree line and glared at us with reptilian eyes glowing blue. I took a step towards him, only to realize I couldn't move. I guessed Houzer couldn't either, seeing as how he wasn't approaching our foe. He had messy blonde hair that fell over his eyes, darkened with dirt and twigs caught in it. About an average build below the average height. He had khaki shorts and a revealed torso only stopping at the remnants of a torn turquoise shirt. Though his most defining features were his Faunus parts. He had a large blue lizard tail extending for about the length of the rest of his body, a wide mouth with large scales around his cheeks and on his hands and feet, his nails all sharper than a usual persons, also sharper were his many teeth.