VI: Edge

Maxie Greyscale, born in a village called Inugana in Mistral. For a while, he lived what most would describe as a happy life. The huntsmen and huntresses of his village kept it safe from the creatures of Grimm, his mother and father being two of them, each one working every other day, patrolling the borders and eliminating any Grimm they found. His parents both loved him, and he loved both of them, however, no matter how much he prospered, no matter how happy the people around him were, he never felt happy. That isn't to say he felt sad either, nor mad or envious, Maxie was a boy of no emotions. Though he did feel wants, desires, though they were very few and he rarely found them challenged by those around him, as they were rather simple dreams of many people's lives. Become a huntsman, find love, raise a kid, leave something behind.

He tried, he truly did, but nothing made him very happy, nothing ever made him sad. Not even a large scrape on his knee would make him cry; he would just accept that it happened and move on, unbothered by the struggle it brought him. However, all that he had once known would be challenged the day his villages church protected a pair of criminals. The Colowhel brothers, wanted for the murder of 20 residents of Inugana and many others across the continent of Anima The village became an angry mob, their anger radiating for miles around. Maxie watched from the window of his room as they tried to break the church doors down, pitchforks and torches in hand. The huntsmen and huntresses tried to calm them down, weapons ready, but not for the crowd. Being the son of two huntsmen, he knew what the mob would bring.

Then the gun shots rang out as monsters from miles around descended upon the village. It was a massacre. Maxie curled up and covered his ears, not afraid for his life, he only wished everybody would stop being so mad. Then he was angry that people could be this naive, that their others had come there, that the Grimm even existed. Though these were not things he had felt before, for in that moment, unbeknownst to him, he had awakened his semblance. But those feelings of anger that had been brought to him put him at risk, risk he wasn't at before.

A Nevermore broke in through the roof of his home, just barely missing him. Maxie was too blinded by his overwhelming rage to feel fear, or to think about his actions. He grabbed a broken steel pipe from his roof and climbed on the creature's face as it struggled to break free from his home, holding on tight to its feathers when it eventually did. He then quickly climbed to the blindspot on the creature's back and began stabbing it repeatedly with the broken steel pipe. In it's pain, the Nevermore shrieked loudly and took off, flying Maxie away from the only life he'd ever known. He turned back, digging the pipe deeper into the creatures back, only to see the village overtaken by fire, smoke, and darkness.

For the entirety of the next day, all Maxie did was hold on to the pipe for dear life as he flew swiftly through the air, the Grimm occasionally trying to shake him off. The cold air made him shiver and dried his lips and eyes. His nostrils stung from the cold when he breathed, a feeling only weakened when he yuck end his face into his chest, but he could only do that on occasion, as he knew that if he fell asleep now, he'd surely fall off and die. Though sleep was hard to avoid through the night, then day, and hardest during the next night, when the air almost dipped below freezing. He could feel the frost forming on his skin and in his hair. Whenever he found himself dozing off, he would bite his upper arms, the pain keeping him from falling asleep.

By the second day he could feel his arms giving out, his hands ached more than they ever had in his life, he couldn't feel his legs, he hadn't eaten since the attack, and the urge to sleep was becoming harder and harder to stave off. Maxie could feel his grip slipping as the Nevermore flew over a large clearing in the woods.

*kathunk*

A small brown gem shot up to the Nevermore's head, exploding next to it's face after a shot from below hit it. A large ball of stone spikes shot into the creatures fact, killing it. The Grimm came crashing down, it's lifeless corpse knocking down every tree it slammed into as it landed. When it's body finally stopped, it began to dissipate into a black smoke. Maxie took deep breathes as he was lowered to the ground, falling onto his side before losing consciousness.