11

            I had to constantly remind myself of the words I had said a few days previously.

The Goddess has a plan.

She always has a plan.

I just had to put my trust in her that she would lead me down the right path to follow that plan. My eyes strayed from the customers in front of me, looking through the keychains, to Soren. My heart panged at how happy he looked, since talking about his dad he didn't bring him up anymore. I knew that my explanation was enough for now.

I had a few years before I was going to need to find a new explanation for Alexi. One that wouldn't make him feel terrible that his father was a rotten person with no morals.

I never wanted him to feel as if he was the product of what I was forced to do. I never wanted Soren to think that I didn't want him because I did. I may have been wary at first, but I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have him in my life right now.

I would probably still be in Alexis' clutches, suffering. Soren was what pushed me to finally leave him.

Soren giggled against the wall, pushing his hands over his mouth as he ran around the shop barefoot. His cotton yellow shorts and grey shirt looked adorable as the air condition was blowing in the store to keep us safe from the hot weather.

He's been playing this game for hours, his energy winding down as he desperately tried to stay awake by pushing himself to run around.

I rang up the tourists who all got keychains with the beaches name on it. "Have a good day!" I called out as they laughed, waving to Soren squealed loudly, waving goodbye to them.

"Baby," I called out to the boy running through the store.

"Momma," He called back in a similar manner before coming behind the counter and sitting by his toys, wrapping up in a blanket from his bag. "Home soon?"

"Soon bud, not quite yet. A few more hours okay?" I crouched down, brushing the stray curls from his face as I kissed his forehead.

He sighed, nodding as he took a few cars into his hand to play with. I gripped the counter as I stood up, the pain washing over me in waves as I tried to mask it. Keenly aware of the small boy who was watching me closely.

I clenched my teeth, breathing slowly through my mouth as I waited for it to pass.

It always seemed to last longer each time it washed over me in a wave of pain.

My nose twitched, bringing me out of my tunnel vision of pain. I stood up straight, taking the painfull force as I breathed in deeply, my blood freezing over.

My finger twitched the agonizing pain terrorizing my body.

Wolves were in town.

I fought the urge to run, they had already scented me out. My scent was all over the woods surrounding Jupiter, and through the streets, I walked daily.

They would find me if I ran or not.

I stood behind the counter, my frame hiding Soren's body from view as he was taking a cat nap. I had no doubt the wolves were heading straight toward me. Wolves were intrigued by others of their kind.

They would be heading straight after my scent the minute they picked up on it, especially seeing as I hadn't scented another wolf out in three years.

They were either travelers or rogues. Either way, I wanted nothing to do with them.

As the door opened and the bell jingled, I hung my head, my hair covering my face as scented the three of them. I watched them from the corner of my eye as they tried not to make themselves obvious as they grabbed random things before coming up to the counter, all within a few minutes.

Soren had woken up when the door opened and was now just laying sleepily in his pile of blankets. As they laid their things down, I managed to bring my head up to evaluate the three of them.

A cheeky man was standing with a bright pink shirt in his hands. His dark hair swept over his forehead as his stubble was grown out. His skin was pale considering he was currently at the beach and had been in the area for who knows how long. His striking grey eyes were kind as he smiled.

I passed over the man in the middle, looking at the man whose long blonde curls, that reminded me of Soren, fell in front of his face as he peered into the display case, holding shells and interesting finds on the beach that Soren and I collect. His eyes were dark and shadowed as he looked on in awe at a particular conch shell that had differentiating colors along the shell.

My eyes hesitated before going to the man in the middle. His darker skin stood out, the deep tan making him look like he belonged out here in the sun. His stern face didn't ease up as his amber eyes stood out against his dark hair that fell in messy waves on his forehead.

I started ringing up their randomly picked out items and placing them in a bag, the pain still radiating through my body as my hands shook.

I filled the silence with casual conversation as my smile shook. "So, what brings you all down to Jupiter?"

They glanced between each other before looking back to me, I swallowed nervously as the blonde spoke, his voice friendly as he drug his eyes away from the shells. "No man's land makes a great place for rogues."

As Soren shuffled behind me, I stepped in front of him as their eyes moved to look at him. My voice was soft as I paused. "I'm not looking for any trouble."

At their inquisitive looks, the blonde leaned closer to me on the counter. "You," My voice shook as I cleared it. It had been so long since I've encountered another wolf. "You are rogues, correct?"

"Something along those lines." The dark haired, pale skinned man spoke.

"What pack are you from then?" My voice was guarded, I had no idea what alliances Alexi had. Anyone could be dangerous.

"One not far away." The blonde grinned.

I narrowed my eyes, looking away from the two of them as Trevor walked through the door. "Where're my favorite people!" Soren couldn't get out of his blanket cocoon faster as he ran to the man, we both called a friend as he held his surfboard in one hand.

Handing the receipt and bag over to the men, I smiled. "Have a good day." I dismissed them easily as Soren was bouncing in Trevor's arms, begging to go surfing.

As the trio left, my heart beat raced in my chest. It wasn't going to be the last I saw of them. My brows furrowed as the pain faded.

I didn't need any more problems on my hands. I had more than enough.