14

Have you ever had your stomach drop, like a ball was in the pit of your stomach and refused to budge? I felt like that, all the time

            Have you ever had your stomach drop, like a ball was in the pit of your stomach and refused to budge? I felt like that, all the time. Like something was dragging me down until my head was barely above water as I struggled.

I was drowning.

I was drowning as everyone just carried on throughout their days. Did no one care?

As the pain blossomed in my neck, where my mark once sat, I wanted to double over.

But the strangers piercing eyes kept me upright. His nose twitching, as if he could smell the putrid scent of sadness rolling off my body in waves. I wouldn't be surprised if he could.

I choked on the smell every time.

Soren hesitated, his eyes trailing between the man and I as he hugged my leg, clutching it. He always knew when I was in pain. My wolf felt comforted as he rubbed his cheek against my leg, it was a beautiful feeling, but the human side of me was conflicted.

I didn't want Soren to know the sorrow I carried.

I was his mother.

I was supposed to protect him.

"Is there anything I can help you with Harrison?" My words came out more forceful that I had meant for it to as I spoke through clenched teeth.

I wanted to know why he was here, again.

The wolf wasn't here by coincidence.

"Nothing in particular," He drew out, his eyes falling to Soren's body as he rubbed his scent onto me.

I narrowed my eyes, fighting to keep my fists from clenching in pain. "Was your merchandise not up to par?"

He shook his head, his stormy eyes finding my own. "No, everything was just fine."

"Then why are you here." I couldn't help but snap the words, I didn't want to play games. I had a child to protect and someone I needed to stay hidden from.

I wasn't willing to give either of those things up for anything.

But his eyes unnerved me as if he was trying to piece together a puzzle that had one too any missing pieces. And that puzzle was me.

I shifted on my feet as the fire raging a war inside of my body. The pain traveling as the irritation around my mark grew. His eyes flickered briefly to the faded mark that was quickly becoming agitated.

His eyes met mine again, his brow furrowing as he took in the abnormality. Mated couples fighting is one thing. A mate cheating on their other half was something totally different.