One

Laken P.O.V

I watch as the many, many houses pass by as the school bus proceeds to drive and drop off my fellow classmates and peers. I glanced up from my seat to glimpse at the tippy-tops of the heads of those who remained on the bus and was satisfied when less than ten heads were apparent. I was the last stop on the bus because me and like four of the other kids get off at the apartments that were near the shopping district of the town. The town was designed rather well. There was the majority of the housing area, which was on the opposite side of the town from where I lived. That was where the medium to large houses were located; for those who could afford to live there. The middle of town was the main street, where a bunch of local businesses and restaurants. Towards the end of main street was the ocean. It was such a beautiful scene to see the sunset on the ocean's horizon.

My town was placed between two large cities that appear to both be overpopulated and the definition of a shopping city. I've only been into one for a field trip that my mother had been lenient for me to attend. The entire place was chaotic, people everywhere, creatures of every kind in every direction. I had been afraid at first, considering the stories my mother had taught me growing up. The tales of monsters and these creatures had been a version of nightmares. The moment I first saw a creature that I'd never seen before mind instantly thought that I'd been killed by the said creature, like the main characters in the tales my mother told me. What was rather strange to me was that they didn't even notice my presence at all. Their eyes would glance over me as if I was nothing but another human to them. Which was great for me.

I was so happy to return to town after the day trip and never more happy to lock myself inside my house and ponder on the tales my mother taught me and what I had observed. I hadn't really seen the version of the creatures that my mom had portrayed. I think she had simply told me that tale to attempt to scare me into staying in the town and away from any potential risk that could come and ruin the layers of safety we had created, that she created for the two of us.

I sighed when I saw the scenery slow down as the stop before my stop came closer into view. A set of siblings lived in the small house that we stopped at. Towards this side of town, the houses got smaller and lessened in quality. This was the reason the apartment building I lived in was in this side of town. The apartment building I lived in was currently home to over twenty families and had room for more. The price of rent was actually rather nice for the size of the apartment and for the location.

Upon seeing the tallish apartment building, a small smile broke out on my face. I was always happy to return home due to the fact that my mother would already be home, waiting for me. Her work schedule was pretty similar to mine. During the week she was a cashier for the local grocery store. The bus pulled up to the entry of the apartment building and the doors of my bus opened up slowly as the bus was rather old and borderline about to break. The bus doors made an ear-shattering squeal sound before the bus driver, an older woman of fifty yells for us all to get off her bus. It wasn't like we were going to fight her on it. All of us who lived in the apartment building hurried off the bus, and the moment the last one exited the doors slammed shut, the squeaking noise following the motion. The bus sped off in the direction in which it came, leaving the kids who just got off in what appeared to be a cloud of smoke.

I sighed as I turned around and walked towards the building in which I lived. I passed the other kids who lived in the building with me. I avoid those kids more often or not, I just didn't connect with them and my mother had begged of me to avoid contact or getting connected to any of them in case something happened. That something being if we got caught.

I stepped into the elevator of the apartment building and let out a sigh of relief when I got into the elevator fast enough to avoid being in the elevator with someone else. I leaned my back against the elevator wall before looking down at my hands.